Seasonal Job Vacancy Notice
NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
Work Location: Arsenal North, Manhattan
Duration: 1.5 years with start date of June, 2017
Salary: $27.37 to $38.31 per hour
The Natural Resources Group (NRG) is a division within NYC Parks & Recreation, and is responsible for acquisition, protection, restoration, and management of remnant and restored natural areas within the City’s parkland.
• Under direction of the Wetlands Restoration Program Manager, manage the development, planning, and implementation of wetlands and aquatic resource restoration, assessment and watershed planning projects.
• Identify stream and wetland restoration and green infrastructure opportunities.
• Provide guidance on restoration designs based on ecological and physical principals and processes across a range of systems, including coastal and freshwater wetlands, streams, living shorelines, and stormwater capture wetlands.
• Analyze and present data using GIS and statistical software.
• Manage consultant contract for remote sensing mapping of streams and wetlands.
• Collaborate with multiple stakeholders in an interdisciplinary and governmental context to achieve project goals.
• Research, analyze, frame and document opportunities to advance restoration and watershed planning.
•Compile, analyze and interpret environmental studies, and prepare technical reports and presentations on project status and objectives for funders, collaborators, and the public.
• Supervise field staff and interns conducting stream assessment field work.
1. A graduate degree with a specialization in natural resource management, water resources, hydrology, geomorphology, environmental planning, environmental science, or a related field.
2. Working knowledge of ecological restoration, stormwater BMP, and watershed management practices.
3. Knowledge hydrology, soils, and native plants for wetland and shoreline restoration design.
4. Familiarity with a broad range of field methodologies, analytical approaches and techniques, and statistical analyses.
5. High level of competence with GIS, spatial analysis, and statistical tools.
6. Ability to work under adverse conditions (heat, early/late hours, inclement weather, muddy or wet conditions).
7. Valid NY State Driver License.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: Rebecca Swadek at Rebecca.Swadek@parks.nyc.gov
Or mail to: Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, NY, NY 10029.
For more information go to: nyc.gov/parks
Abridged posting -- refer to full job posting on website for all requirements.