Seasonal Job Vacancy Notice
NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
Work Location: Manhattan
Duration: 1.5 years starting June 2017
Salary: $27.37 to $38.31 per hour
The Natural Resources Group (NRG) is a division within NYC Parks & Recreation, and is responsible for acquisition, protection, restoration, and management of remnant and restored natural areas within the City’s parkland.
• Under direction of the Wetlands Restoration Program Manager, manage the development, planning, permitting, and implementation of wetlands and aquatic resource restoration, assessment and watershed planning projects.
• Work with agency staff and partner organizations to identify restoration needs and provide guidance on restoration designs based on ecological and physical principals and processes across a range of systems, including coastal and freshwater wetlands, streams, living shorelines, and stormwater capture wetlands.
• Prepare permit applications for wetlands and stormwater management and coordinate with regulatory agencies.
• Prepare consultant scopes of work and coordinate in-house and contractor efforts related to restoration design and construction, including site assessment, soil sampling, topographic surveys, and construction oversight.
• Collaborate with multiple stakeholders in an interdisciplinary and governmental context to achieve project goals.
• Research, analyze, frame and document opportunities to advance restoration and watershed planning.
• Compile, analyze and interpret environmental studies, and prepare technical reports and presentations on project status and objectives for funders, collaborators, and the public.
1. A graduate degree in natural resource management, water resources, hydrology, environmental planning, landscape architecture, environmental science, or a related field.
2. Working knowledge of ecological restoration, stormwater BMP, and watershed management practices.
3. Knowledge hydrology, soils, and native plants for wetland and shoreline restoration design.
4. Familiarity with a broad range of field methodologies, analytical approaches and techniques, and statistical analyses.
5. High level of competence with GIS, spatial analysis, and statistical tools.
6. A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the state of New York.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: Rebecca Swadek at Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, NY, NY 10029; or e-mail to Rebecca.Swadek@parks.nyc.gov.
For more information go to: nyc.gov/parks
Abridged posting -- refer to full job posting on website for all requirements