About GRID Alternatives:
GRID Alternatives is a national leader in making clean, affordable solar power and solar jobs accessible to low-income communities and communities of color. GRID is an entrepreneurial, high-growth non-profit organization that provides direct solar installation and project development; workforce training and service learning opportunities; and low-income solar policy advocacy.
Our vision: a transition to clean, renewable energy that includes and benefits everyone.
At GRID, we care about each other and know that each employee has a whole self that includes life outside of work. Our culture supports learning, growth and well-being of all of our team members.
Based in Oakland, California, GRID has 9 regional offices and affiliates serving all of California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware; GRID also works in Nicaragua, Mexico and Nepal. GRID has a dedicated staff of 350 and growing!
Every member of GRID Alternatives must participate in the organization's equity, inclusion, and diversity work.
Our Inland Empire region is seeking a Commercial PV Installer for our Riverside, CA office.
As a Commercial PV Lead Installer (Solar Installation Supervisor, Commercial), you will lead and directly install commercial-scale solar PV systems, including ground mount systems, solar carports, and rooftop solar ranging from about 20kW to 1MW+. Installations that you lead are crewed by job trainees, students, and volunteers seeking experience and training as well as staff. You will also work closely with the other departments to coordinate installations, events, and communicate with clients and perform other duties as assigned.
• Lead and be responsible for all technical, quality, and safety aspects of commercial-scale PV installations as well as some residential PV installations, as assigned, including: layout and assembly of solar modules / array and mounting hardware; mechanical/structural mounting of racking, modules, and electrical equipment; electrical wiring of solar array/system (AC and DC); and commissioning and documenting completion of completed installation
• Lead installation of solar electric systems while training crews of volunteers, students, job trainees, and/or staff
• Ensure that all solar installations are installed according to GRID Alternatives and other applicable safety and quality standards
• Troubleshoot installations and respond to service calls
• Schedule inspections and meet with inspectors to ensure installations are to code
• Participate in GRID’s equity, inclusion, and diversity work
• Other job duties include conducting site visits, assisting with/designing solar electric systems, putting together permit packages, utility interconnection agreements, and assisting with rebate paperwork, equipment purchasing, hardware store runs, equipment unloading and loading, answering homeowner and volunteer questions, talking to media and generally participating in activities necessary to make solar happen for low-income families
• Min. 2 year experience as lead for commercial-scale PV system installation
• Min. 1 year experience as lead for residential PV system installation
• Excellent communication skills (ability to work with volunteers and clients, ability to represent GRID Alternatives positively)
• Comfortable working as part of a team
• Flexibility and willingness to embrace change, go the extra mile, and bring ideas and energy to rapidly growing organization
• Availability to work on evenings and weekends and overnight work trips
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Travel throughout San Bernardino, Riverside, and Inyo counties
• Must be able to safely carry/lift up to 50 lbs
• Must be able to work in outdoor weather condition
• Must be able to ascend/descend ladders to install solar panels
• Passion for sustainability, affordable housing, the environment, or environmental justice, or just generally grounded in making the world a better place
• California Certified Electrician
• OSHA 10, CPR/First Aid, NABCEP certified
• Experience in training and/or working with volunteers
• Proficiency with Gmail, Microsoft Excel, and Sketchup or AutoCAD
• Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM database
• Experience in PV system design, project management, cost estimating, procurement
This position require travel to sites throughout the Inland Empire office territory and occasional out-of-town work trips. Availability to work nights and weekends will be required. GRID Alternatives may provide vehicles for work travel and/or travel reimbursement for personal vehicle use, but applicant must hold a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
This is a full-time position, compensation commensurate with experience.
Medical, Dental, Vision/Eye care insurance, 5 weeks paid time off (PTO), up to 12 paid holidays, Commuter Checks, 403B retirement plan, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA), STD<D, and yearly Professional Development funds to further education up to $600.
Submit both a resume and a cover letter describing your interest. Due to the high volume of inquiries, mailed and emailed applications are not accepted. Please do not call and/or email requesting an update
Please mention how you learned of this opening.