Duties and Responsibilities:
The District Director for the Southeast District reports to the Assistant Deputy Secretary for Regulatory Programs. This is an advanced senior level manager position within the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and is responsible for overseeing all operations within the District Office. The Southeast District is located in West Palm Beach and has a staff of 84 full time employees.
The incumbent in this position is the primary representative of the DEP within the region. As such, this person is expected to be able to represent the core mission, directives and goals expressed by the agency, as well as any legislative or Governor’s Office initiatives.
Exercising independent judgment, the Director is responsible for:
1. Overall management and supervision of all district staff.
2. Planning, organizing and reviewing work of district staff to ensure the DEP mission is accomplished; levels of service met; and state and federal work commitments are met.
3. Manageing an effective, efficient permitting, compliance and enforcement program for the regulatory areas under district jurisdiction.
4. Managing personnel issues, including fair and unbiased hiring; training; mentoring; evaluating; and taking disciplinary actions in a timely way as needed.
5. Managing the district budget effectively and efficiently, including fair and regular distribution of available rate.
6. Ensuring highest levels of public service are provided by staff.
7. Acting as a liaison for the DEP with all levels of local government, stakeholder groups, and other interested parties.
8. Representing the DEP on a variety of boards, work groups and councils related to the agency mission.
9. Working cooperatively with the Water Management Districts to implement and enhance shared or parallel programs.
10. Representing the DEP to the Governor and Cabinet as required.
11. Forging a good working relationship with other parts of the DEP which may reside within the district, such as the parks, DEAR or Emergency Response.
There may also be other specific tasks associated with District Offices or special assignments from the Secretary, Deputy Secretaries, Chief of Staff and/or Assistant Deputy Secretaries.
As a member of the DEP’s management team, this position is responsible for preventing and detecting fraud. This position is required to immediately address any allegations of fraud or suspected fraud.
Bachelor's Degree or higher
Minimum 5 years of experience managing a staff of 25 or more professionals.
The incumbent of this position is required to successfully complete a background and fingerprint check.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY: District Director - Southeast District