Burness, a mission-driven communications firm committed to helping nonprofits and foundations advance social change worldwide, seeks a media relations expert with 3-5 years of experience in the environmental field. We’re looking for a high-energy, organized person with the ability to land media placements for a fast-paced, global environmental campaign on biodiversity and media promotions on deforestation, climate change and more. Must provide examples of media placements and associated press materials, short-form writing samples (statements, pitches, press releases) and list of journalists with whom you are regularly working. You will work within a team of colleagues playing different roles in each promotion and with multiple partners outside of Burness.
Basic job requirements include the demonstrated ability to:
• Determine news value of stories, possible news angles and strategies using your own media analysis and based on your experience in the field;
• Lead, organize and execute on media relations promotions--assessing stories, writing or editing statements, selecting target journalist list, processing media materials with client and then rolling out pitches by email, phone and digital channels;
• Develop or build on strong contacts with environmental journalists;
• Write short-form media-related products clearly and concisely (statements, pitches, press releases, talking points);
• Be flexible and able to move quickly on fast-breaking assignments;
• Be a strong verbal communicator, able to convey complex ideas and thinking clearly and concisely; and
• Provide strategies for and execute broader communications strategies -- including writing communications plans, development of key messages, audience research -- for nonprofits, foundations and international agencies.
Familiarity with our work platforms is a plus: Slack, Asana, Microsoft Office/Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams, Zoom and public relations-specific resources such as Muckrack. Strong preference for Washington, DC area-based employee.
Burness offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.