Land Steward Ashburn VA
Willowsford Conservancy manages 2,000 acres of open space and 40 miles of trails in Willowsford’s four villages with the mission to “… protect, maintain, and promote the viable, long-term use of the land, integrating farming, recreation, conservation and education to enhance the quality of life for Willowsford residents and the greater community.”
The full-time Land Steward reports to the Executive Director and requires comprehensive experience in forest and grassland management, invasive and native species management, habitat restoration, trail maintenance, outreach and education.
- Develop and implement land stewardship plans
- Manage open space to improve habitat and provide quality outdoor education and recreation experiences. Perform routine maintenance including tree care and removal, habitat restoration, invasive plant management, trail mowing, infrastructure maintenance
- Develop and manage budgets
- Develop and lead education activities
- Supervise contractors, volunteers and front-line staff
- BS in Forestry, Natural Resources Management or related field; 5 years’ relevant experience. Certified Arborist preferred.
- Significant experience in land stewardship planning
- Hands-on experience in land management, arboriculture, trail maintenance, invasives control, equipment operation; Pesticide Applicator’s license
- Ability to effectively develop strategies, manage work schedules, projects, budgets and contracts.
- Knowledge of NOVA flora and fauna; strong field ID skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, records management, GIS/GPS
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent communication skills
- Supervisory experience
This position works in the field in all weather conditions, and requires heaving lifting and physical exertion, driving and hiking in uneven terrain, and operating equipment.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 24, 2017.