Trail Operations DirectorDuluth MN
The Superior Hiking Trail Association, based in Two Harbors, Minnesota, created and manages the nationally renowned Superior Hiking Trail (SHT). (www.superiorhiking.org)
We are seeking a trail operations director to oversee our Trail Renewal Program. This position is an outstanding opportunity for someone who’s enthusiastic about hiking or trail running and possesses a wide variety of skills and capabilities, including basic construction skills, conservation sensibilities, project planning and management, and diplomacy. The trail operations director will have a unique chance to create the organizational systems and processes necessary for making the SHT resilient, and the volunteer and user experience on the Trail exceptional.
- Oversee all construction and maintenance on the SHT and carry out some trail construction and maintenance
- Implement and oversee SHTA’s Trail Renewal Program (including conditions assessment and trail project planning)
- Develop and institute Volunteer Crew Leader system
- Develop and keep current a trail maintenance and renewal manual
- Maintain and stock power and hand tools
- Assist in maintaining relations and sharing trail planning with public and private landowners
- Ensure SHTA’s compliance with state and federal land, water and wetland conservation regulations
- At least five years’ experience performing simple construction, landscaping, or trail building and maintenance
- Demonstrated experience working with volunteers and natural resource agencies
- Experience planning, managing and implementing small construction, trail building, or landscaping projects
- Comfort and facility with power tools (e.g. chain saw, weed whip, riding mower) and hand tools
- Ability to write clearly and communicate effectively, one-on-one and with groups
- Experience, as a volunteer or employee, with construction, trail building or landscaping within the context of an organization
- Familiarity with budgeting, and developing and executing contracts
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in conservation, land and water management, engineering, landscape architecture
- Experience training volunteers or others, including developing training communications (e.g. manuals, videos)
- Familiarity with basic safety protocols and comfort teaching them to others
- Diplomatic, quick on your feet, and able to roll with surprises and letdowns
Though the SHTA office is located in Two Harbors, the trail operations director could be based in the North Shore area or in Duluth.
Please send us your resume along with a letter expressing your qualifications for and particular interest in this position. Compensation commensurate with experience. Health insurance and other benefits are included.
Address your application to Denny Caneff, executive director (email@example.com) Application window is open until position is filled.