SEEKING TALENTED TRAIL WORK LEADERS
The Pacific Crest Trail Association, headquartered in Sacramento, California is dedicated to protecting, preserving and promoting the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. The following staff position is currently open:
Two positions to be filled
Trail Crew Leader – Week of May 26 to September 21, Northern California and Southern Oregon
Trail Crew Leader – Week of June 16 to September 21, Washington
Lead volunteer-based trail crew programs on the spectacular Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. This is a great career-building opportunity for rising professionals.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work with and supervise volunteer trail crews while teaching trail maintenance skills
- Coordinate and oversee projects on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Spend time outdoors and on the trail
This is a full-time seasonal staff position working on trail projects. Weekly compensation will average between $600-800. Dependable personal transportation is required; mileage is reimbursed.
We are seeking applicants with:
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional experience or five years of substantial volunteer experience
- Experience in training, managing, and leading volunteer trail crews
- Extensive knowledge of safety protocols
- Trail design, construction, and maintenance skills
- Familiarity with menu planning and cooking for groups in backcountry settings
- Backcountry living and Leave No Trace skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to travel on the PCT in remote, backcountry locations, requiring several days of backcountry travel and living
- Ability to physically perform trail work
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Experience working with land management agency partners
- Wilderness first aid and CPR certifications
- Crosscut and/or chain saw certification of U.S. Forest Service B – Bucking level or higher
Apply by February 28 stating which position(s) you are applying for. Please e-mail resume, three references, and a letter of interest detailing applicable qualifications to Hiring Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Crew Leader.” All attachments must include applicant’s last name on the file name. Additional information on this position and Pacific Crest Trail Association are online at www.pcta.org. For questions, contact Jennifer Tripp at 916-285-1853.
Pacific Crest Trail Association is an Equal Opportunity Provider.