Reports to: Crew Manager
Open until filled: | Start Date: October 2019
Salary: $13 per hour with the ability to increase to $16 per hour depending on credentials, certifications, and experience.
36 hours per week (full time)
Typically 9 hours/day.
6:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday-Thursday.
Hours may vary on occasion.
Mission: We unite people to protect, promote, and care for the forest preserves in Cook County.
Our community advocates for the responsible management of the nearly 70,000 acres of forest preserves in Cook County through advocacy and engagement, and stewardship of the land. Some of the best natural areas in Illinois are right here in Cook County, right outside your urban backdoor. Join our team and help us ensure they are here for the next 100 years.
Operating Budget: $3,200,000
Summary: Friends of the Forest Preserves seeks a crew member to participate in the Friends Conservation Corps. Conservation Corps members work year-round to remove invasive species and restore native plants throughout the Forest Preserves of Cook. We are seeking crew members from diverse communities for a program that provides valuable skills and certifications that could lead to a long-term career in natural land management or other environmental jobs.
Crew members will collaborate with a team of three crew members, an assistant crew manager and a crew manager, working together outdoors removing invasive species and conducting other physical work to restore health to the preserves. Crew members are expected to complete a number of trainings through Friends and the Forest Preserves of Cook County. They are also expected to participate in group presentations at local conferences and events.
1. Must be 18 years or older.
2. Strong interest in learning about conservation and working outdoors.
3. Must be punctual and responsible with an ability to work with others as a team.
4. Ability to lift and move heavy objects (50 lbs.) and work outside in inclement weather and extreme temperatures.
5. Must have the ability to obtain State of Illinois Pesticide Operator License and First Aid/CPR certification.
6. Ability to obtain FPCC Feller I Chainsaw Certification, FOTFP Chainsaw Certification, and Midwest Ecological Burn Training Certification.
7. Some flexibility in work hours including weekend work is required.
8. Experience working outdoors and familiarity with Midwest outdoor conservation work preferred.
9. Ability to meet at designated meetup location at the Volunteer Resource Center, Chicago, IL.
1. Pay starts at $13 with the ability to increase to $16 per hour with proper credentials, certifications, and experience.
2. Professional trainings and certifications.
3. Exposure to agencies and professionals with the potential for long-term career connections.
4. Paid holiday break: December 23-26, 2019.
5. Paid personal and sick time.
For more information and to apply: Please NO calls, faxes, office visits, or emails (other than emails presenting resume and cover letter). Please send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to Hillary Peters, North Branch Crew Manager at Hillary@fotfp.org. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis and according to need. Please NO calls, faxes, office visits, or emails (other than emails presenting resume and cover letter).
Women, minorities, and seniors are strongly encouraged to apply. Friends of the Forest Preserves is an equal opportunity employer that considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or sexual orientation (in addition to observing all legal protection of special status). Friends is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity in the environmental community.