Open until: 12-3-2019 | Start Date: ASAP
Mission: We unite people to protect, promote, and care for the forest preserves in Cook County.
Our community advocates for the responsible management of the nearly 70,000 acres of forest preserves in Cook County through advocacy, engagement, and stewardship of the land. Some of the best natural areas in Illinois are right here in Cook County, right outside your urban backdoor. Join our team and help us ensure they are here for the next 100 years.
Friends is an organization that gets things done with our members, volunteers, staff, board, and partners. We believe in work-life balance and are here for the marathon, not the sprint (not that we don’t sprint on a regular basis).
Operating Budget: $3,200,000
Summary: Friends of the Forest Preserves seeks a Crew Manager for our Fox River Conservation Corps crew based in Barrington, IL.
• Manage and supervise 5-member crew to work on variety of indoor and outdoor conservation projects in Forest Preserves of Cook County and Lake County
• Assist with development and training of crew members in conservation skills to complete field projects
• Ensure crew members have qualifications and credentials to complete required tasks
• Interview, hire, screen, and onboard all new crew members
• Develop weekly crew schedule, training, and reporting
• Work with crew members to develop and support social networking opportunities for alumni of FOTFP internship programs
• Work independently to fulfill restoration work order and project responsibilities, including, but not limited to, field work, supplies procurement, tool maintenance, scouting, walkthroughs, and follow up treatment
• Assist with educating crew in ecological restoration and local ecology concepts
• Evaluate and document crew work activities and performance through compiling weekly work log data, taking and uploading crew photos, and assisting with writing bi-monthly work progress reports
• Lead crews for field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control using brush cutters, chainsaws, mowers, and hand tools
• Use power tools, transport people and equipment in company trucks, and utilize motorized equipment to perform work
• 21 years or older with clean driving record
• Experience working with field crews
• Experience managing volunteers in the field
• Experience teaching in classroom and/or field setting a plus
• Current Illinois Herbicide Applicator license or ability to secure one
• 300 Hours of Chainsaw Experience, 100 hours of brush cutter experience, 570 hours of herbicide experience
• Current Basic First Aid and Adult CPR certifications
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work with diverse populations and wide range of partners
• Ability to lift and move heavy objects (50 lbs.) and work outside in inclement weather and extreme temperatures
• Willingness to work Monday through Thursday, with occasional Saturday schedule
• Flexibility for schedule changes due to trainings, burn season, and weather
• Experience with technical report writing
• Operating Global Positioning System
• S290 certification and Burn Boss certification
• Experience collaborating with volunteers
• Experience with consensus building
• Experience facilitating meetings
• Health, dental, short- and long-term disability, and $100,000 of life insurance coverage
• 403b retirement account with 3% match after 1 year
• 3 weeks of vacation
• 10 paid holidays
• 2 personal days
• 2 floating holidays
• 10 sick days
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and two references to: Zach Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please NO calls, faxes, office visits, or emails (other than email presenting application).
Please mention how you learned of this opening.
Women, minorities, and seniors are strongly encouraged to apply. Friends of the Forest Preserves is an equal opportunity employer that considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or sexual orientation (in addition to observing all legal protection of special status). Friends is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity in the environmental community.