Climate Action SpecialistRedwood City CA
The County of San Mateo's Office of Sustainability seeks well qualified applicants for the position of Climate Action Specialist. We are seeking one full-time Climate Action Specialist for the Climate Change and Adaptation Program who can empower our employees and our community members to embrace sustainability more fully, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, prepare for climate change impacts, and use natural resources more efficiently. We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
The Climate Change and Adaptation Program aims to address climate change through adaptation and mitigation efforts, and works in partnership with County departments, cities, community groups, businesses and others. The program incorporates a focus on race and social justice into programs and projects. As part of our team, the Climate Action Specialist is responsible for coordination and implementation of the County's Government Operations Climate Action Plan, which includes spearheading and coordinating projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at County facilities. This position is also responsible for efforts to ensure County facilities are prepared for climate change impacts and will lead the County's Sustainable Purchasing Initiative and other climate change initiatives. The Climate Action Specialist will effectively engage community members in sustainability efforts and initiatives, build partnerships and collaborate with County and city officials, government staff, and community stakeholders to achieve measurable progress toward the County's climate and sustainability goals. The candidate will ensure programs and projects are equitable and accessible to all community members.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong interest in sustainability, climate change, and environmental issues.
- Experience in the field and a college degree in Environmental Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Engineering, or a related field. A Master's degree is preferred.
- A strong interest and experience in integrating race, equity, and social and environmental justice into programs and projects.
- Experience completing greenhouse gas emissions inventories, developing Climate Action Plans, and tracking progress on plans is preferred.
- Experience preparing written materials such as narratives, project summaries, or Board reports, technical charts, presentations, and public outreach materials.
- Experience delivering targeted presentations to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- Experience working to coordinate projects across multiple departments or organizations.
- Experience organizing community events and educational programs, or facilitating or managing public processes or projects with an active, highly engaged community.
To learn more about the position and to apply online, visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2713430/climate-action-specialist-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. EOE