The Catskill Center for Conservation and Development preserves and enriches the environmental, economic and cultural well-being of the Catskill region through collaboration, inspiration and stewardship. We believe that the vitality and prosperity of the Catskills depend on robust collaboration, thriving local communities and the wise stewardship of our natural resources.
Since its founding in 1969, the Catskill Center has partnered with regional organizations and local and state governments to develop a wide variety of programs and initiatives, playing a pivotal role in balancing the preservation of the region’s natural beauty and environmental integrity with a commitment to advancing sustainable economic development within the counties and communities of the Catskills.
For more information about the work of the Catskill Center, visit www.catskillcenter.org.
The Catskill Center seeks an individual to fill the position of Director of Communications & Membership. This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing an effective communications strategy that strengthens relationships of the Catskill Center with our members and stakeholders and galvanizes new audiences to support its mission.
This individual will inspire members and regional stakeholders to help enrich the well-being of the Catskill Region by successfully crafting impactful stories; managing Catskill Center brand identity, marketing campaigns, social media, and public relations; and otherwise supporting the Center in its efforts to be responsive and achieve its mission.
This individual will ensure the Catskill Center is clearly and consistently communicating its vision, mission, goals, initiatives, and successes. This individual will work closely with the Executive Director, senior management team, and program staff.
This is a full-time position based in the Catskill Center’s headquarters at the Eprf Center in Arkville, NY. The position also requires occasional travel for meetings and events throughout the region.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Communications & Membership will:
• Develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive communications and relationship growth strategy that strengthens existing stakeholder relationships and inspires new ones. Goals will be identified collaboratively with senior management and the Board of Directors;
• Support the necessary communications activities of the Board of Directors and staff;
• Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan for the Catskill Center;
• Enhance the Catskill Center’s image and position throughout the Catskills, Hudson Valley, New York City metro area and beyond;
• Facilitate effective internal and external communications;
• Communicate the Catskill Center’s desired image, position, and messages effectively and consistently through narrative and design;
• Manage the creation, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and webpages;
• Coordinate the appearance of print and electronic materials, including letterhead, use of logo, brochures, emails, etc.;
• Coordinate and oversee market research. Monitor trends;
• Lead specific projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events (e.g. the Catskill Center’s Annual Gathering);
• Co-lead development of a new membership campaign;
• Co-lead management and growth of donor management databases;
• Stay up-to-date with donor and volunteer interests and activities and properly track in Catskill Center systems;
• Draft letters, statements, or other materials for the Board of Directors and staff to share with current or potential donors and volunteers;
• Expertly guide the Board of Directors’ Development Committee, Executive Director, and Associate Executive Director to communication strategies that build strong relationships with current and future supporters;
• Maintain brand identity in all distributed materials – be the “gatekeeper” to publication for all organizational materials intended for public distribution;
• Assist program staff with writing and graphic design;
• Assist program staff with event and activity promotion and attend events and activities as necessary;
• Collaborate with senior staff to ensure the Catskill Center’s communications and growth strategy support the Strategic Plan;
• Identify existing communications weaknesses and offer possible solutions;
• Create, implement and measure the success of public relations materials and activities, including drafting and distributing press releases, press kits, etc;
• Create media interest in the Catskill Center and respond to media requests;
• Represent the Catskill Center with the media and manage all media contacts;
Squarespace Websites Management
• Regularly update and maintain the Catskill Center and Catskill Interpretive Center websites;
• Manage online aspects of webstore, including adding or removing items, maintaining a smooth inventory process, and creating registration/payment pages for fee-based events; Generate or improve online content so that it is engaging, consistent with branding, and meets goals, such as increasing participation at an event, fundraising, or sharing important information with stakeholders;
• Provide training to staff to increase their ability to post events, blog posts, etc.;
• Grow audiences and engagement over time;
• Evaluate and implement new website solutions if necessary;
Social Media and E-communications
• Coordinate and maintain social media presence for the Catskill Center and Catskill Interpretive Center;
• Generate and/or collate engaging content that leads to measurable actions;
• Coordinate and update social media platforms regularly;
• Create and distribute eNewsletters and other email communications to members, donors and partners with input and contributions from fellow staff;
• Grow audiences and increase engagement over time;
• Develop short and long term goals, plans and budgets to achieve the communications and growth strategy; monitor progress, ensure adherence and evaluate outcomes regularly;
• Develop and implement necessary monitoring systems and procedures for consistent, on-message communication with donors, volunteers, members, landowners, and the public;
• Stay informed of developments in the fields of communications, marketing, public relations and not-for-profit management and governance;
And other duties as assigned.
Previous experience in a similar role is strongly preferred. Preference will be given to a candidate who has demonstrated, verifiable success in communications, development, outreach, and/or marketing.
• Sincere desire to work with and serve the public;
• Ability to perform complex work with minimal supervision;
• Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams;
• Evidence of consistent, meticulous attention to detail;
• Exceptional writing, organizational, and time-management abilities;
• Strong creative, strategic, and analytical skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
• Strong ability to communicate effectively, with sincerity and clarity, orally and in writing;
• Strong and verifiable communications, marketing and/or development competencies;
• Demonstrated ability to create impactful email marketing campaigns and ‘likable’ social media that produces real audience responses;
• Demonstrated success in writing press releases for stories that get published, negotiating with the media, and making public presentations;
• Experience creating and overseeing the design, narrative, and production of print materials;
• Deep familiarity with computer software and the web, especially as related to word processing, website and database management and graphic design;
• Bachelor’s degree; preferably in a relevant field, such as communications, journalism, marketing or public relations;
• Minimum of 5 years of experience and demonstrated success in communications, development, outreach, and/or or marketing;
• Strong record of integrity and ethical sensibility;
• Ability to maintain discretion and strict confidentiality; and
• Proficiency in English;
Strong candidates will have some of the following skills and qualifications:
• Eagerness to learn new and improve existing skills;
• Experience working with volunteers, non-profits and/or government agencies;
• Experience developing and managing a budget;
• Passion for outdoor recreation, the environment, and/or the Catskills;
• Knowledge of Giftworks, Salesforce or other donor contact databases; and
• Membership in IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) and IABC accreditation.
The position offers a regionally competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The Catskill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position open until filled.
Please send application package, including cover letter, salary requirements, resume, two writing samples of your choice, and three professional references to email@example.com
No calls please.