Strawberry Hill Foundation, located in Adams County Pennsylvania, is a tax-exempt, private foundation established to provide outdoor environmental education to surrounding communities and school districts. Strawberry Hill conducts educational programs throughout the year, as well as runs an eight-week summer camp focused on environmental stewardship. Adjacent to the Foundation’s educational campus is the Michaux State Forest with two high quality streams and miles of hiking trails.
Strawberry Hill Foundation maintains an endowment fund to steward long-term assets of the organization which are used to support capital and operational needs. As of March 2018, Strawberry Hill Foundation anticipates investment assets totaling approximately $1.5 million. The foundation currently has two full time, two part time, and seasonal employees. The annual operating budget is approximately $225,000.
More information at: www.strawberryhill.org
Strawberry Hill leadership has identified the following strategic goals for the new executive director:
- Evaluate and strengthen programming to capitalize on regional markets
- Safeguard the future ecological integrity of the Swamp Creek watershed
- Raise sufficient funds to balance the annual budget
- Develop communications/marketing plan repositioning Strawberry Hill’s campus as a community gateway to Michaux State Forest
- Improve public access
- Increase the endowment (Founder’s Fund) to support the educational mission
The Ideal Candidate
Strawberry Hill’s new executive director will be passionate about the mission of making the natural world accessible and understandable to multiple constituencies while understanding the complexities of implementing and funding an organization dedicated to environmental education. He or she will be an outstanding verbal and written communicator, adept at building collaborative relationships that inspire board, staff and funder commitment to Strawberry Hill.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated success partnering with a board of
directors to lead strategically; he or she will have experience engaging board members in
fundraising and other governance activities. The candidate must also possess
a strong background in aligning internal operations with financial and resource capacity, i.e., be skilled in business planning and able to make decisions that will lead to sustainability and growth.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Manage a Nature Education Program for School Age Children and Adults
- Create and implement safe, interesting and fun programs.
- Meet educational standards with quantifiable learning results.
- Champion the mission of Strawberry Hill, lead the organization and be its public face.
2. Ensure Sound Financial Operations
- Assist Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Establish and conduct successful fundraising campaigns.
- Maintain accurate and complete financial records.
- Propose and achieve annual balanced budget.
- Prepare Foundation’s Annual Report.
3. Overall Administrative Operations and Staffing
- Hire, supervise and evaluate staff and interns.
- Maintain accurate records of members, contributors and volunteers.
- Recruit, train and motivate board members and volunteers.
4. Maintain Buildings and Grounds in Good Condition
- Arrange for routine maintenance and repairs.
- Recommend and implement needed capital improvements.
5. Complete Special Projects Requested by the Board of Directors
Desired professional background, skills and knowledge
-Management experience in an organization with a similar or greater budget.
-Demonstrated ability to create, implement and measure strategic, financial and operational plans.
-Track record of leading or supporting fundraising programs that includes cultivation of individual donors (annual fund, major gifts and planned giving).
-A lifelong learner with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental studies, management or a related field.
Requires a PA Act 33 and Act 34 clearance check and FBI Fingerprint clearance.
Valid driver’s license.
CPR/AED and Wilderness First Aid (Or able to obtain upon hiring) Certifications
Proficiency in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks software platforms
Salary Range: The hiring range for this position is $45,000 - $55,000.
Regional candidates preferred.
Applications will be accepted in electronic format only until the position is filled with priority given to applications received by January 31, 2018. Strawberry Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Send cover letter outlining qualifications and salary expectations, resume, and professional references to: email@example.com