The Shaw Institute is seeking a highly organized individual with IT and graphic skills to fill the part time position of IT Associate at our Blue Hill Research Center, located at 55 Main St in Blue Hill, Maine.
The individual who fills this key position will have a comprehensive information technology skill set, including knowledge of graphics software and HTML/CMS, and who is able to work both independently and as part of a team. This position requires working proficiency in Web and desktop publishing, video editing, and social media tools, as well as familiarity with systems support.
Located in the coastal village of Blue Hill, Maine, the Blue Hill Research Center is the research lab of the Shaw Institute, a nonprofit charitable organization nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting wildlife and human health. Founded in 1990, the Institute is internationally recognized for its expertise on the health effects of environmental chemicals, including flame retardants, in wildlife and human populations.
The Institute’s initiatives include scientific research, coastal monitoring, and public health policy outreach.
The successful candidate will perform basic duties related to graphic design and communication. This individual will write, edit and graphically enhance summer lecture series posters and press, website content and other marketing and publicity materials as needed. She/he will provide technical and graphics support, to the Shaw Institute’s design and branding team. The successful candidate will support e-mail marketing campaigns, manage the file server, develop Powerpoint and/or other graphic presentations and provide basic support for the Shaw Institute’s internal network. This position is ideally suited to a tech savvy recent high school graduate or college undergraduate looking for experience in the areas of graphic design, social media marketing and general IT support.
Primary Job Responsibilities
• Provide design and technical support for electronic and printed marketing materials, consulting with the Institute’s brand and marketing firm to develop flyers, advertisements, factsheets and brochures. Conduct graphics research for PowerPoint presentations and other materials.
• Update the website, contributing content, selecting appropriate graphics and visual content, designing layout, and developing video content as necessary.
• Organize, enhance and manage the file server to ensure up-to-date images are acquired, consistently labeled and made accessible to users.
• Troubleshoot network issues and provide staff support on specific applications.
• Assist with projects and perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
▪ Proficient in desktop publishing and graphic design for print and electronic media, as well as photography, video and use of social media tools.
▪ Experience with InDesign, FinalCut, Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML/CSS. Knowledge of CMS a plus.
▪ Familiarity with Apple Lion Server, Mac and PC client computers, Microsoft Office Suite and GSuite applications.
▪ Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.
▪ Detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines, work collaboratively as part of a team, and adapt to fastpaced environment.
▪ Strong interest in the environment and a commitment to promoting the mission.
Time Requirements: Part time, 20 hrs/wk
Salary: commensurate with experience
To apply for this position, please submit by email a letter of application with updated resume and three portfolio samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications/IT Associate.” Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Shaw Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer