Founded in 1936, the Montana Wildlife Federation (MWF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection and conservation of Montana’s abundant wildlife, natural lands, healthy waters, and public access for hunting, fishing, trapping, and other outdoor recreation.
The Montana Wildlife Federation has a staff of eight that works to support several thousand members around Montana and the nation, as well as a network of affiliated organizations around the state.
The Western Montana Field Coordinator will implement outreach and programmatic activities to support MWF’s priorities in Western Montana, including conservation campaigns, membership development, and grassroots organizing. The Field Coordinator will be responsible for community outreach and position/policy development on assigned topics, including climate change, public land management, place-based conservation initiatives, public access, wildlife management, and other issues. The Field Coordinator will work with existing local conservation groups and sporting clubs and pursue opportunities to create new organizations. In collaboration with other staff, the Field Coordinator will develop print and electronic outreach materials and plan and implement outreach events.
• Represent MWF’s conservation agenda and advocate for the adoption of conservation policies.
• Organize and implement outreach events to build awareness of MWF conservation priorities in Western Montana, including town hall meetings, presentations, meetings with local conservation leaders, and other outreach activities to a variety of audiences.
• Identify and recruit grassroots leaders to participate in priority issue campaigns.
• Generate individual contacts to legislative and administrative decision-makers on MWF conservation priorities.
• Develop outreach materials, including fact sheets, brochures, and other materials for public and media consumption.
• Work with other MWF staff to draft press statements, newsletter stories, blog posts, sign-on letters, and other statements on priority issues.
• Work in collaboration with other partner organizations in the region, including participation in coalition campaign planning activities.
• Support volunteers in developing, writing, and placing letters-to-the-editor and opinion columns on priority conservation campaigns.
• Organize meetings between grassroots leaders and local officials to express support for conservation priorities.
• Represent MWF in an enthusiastic and professional manner in the community and demonstrate a commitment to MWF’s mission.
• Serve as a point of contact with local affiliated organizations, including attendance at meetings and regular communications.
• Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings, keeping staff colleagues up to date on outreach activities and projects.
• Other miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
• Experience in conservation advocacy and grassroots outreach, or comparable educational attainment in a relevant field.
• Excellent writing and editing skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills.
• Skilled in the use of standard office software.
• Ability to organize workload, manage time, and work independently to meet organizational objectives and deadlines.
• Ability to work as a part of a team and coordinate with other staff.
• Experience with grassroots organizing, event planning, and public speaking.
• Enthusiasm for fish and wildlife conservation and hunting, fishing, wildlife watching, and other outdoor recreation.
• Ability to research and maintain a working knowledge of local, state and national policy issues in the region.
• Ability to work collaboratively with conservation groups, agricultural groups, and other community partners.
• Ability to lead and coordinate diverse groups, individuals, and personalities.
• Willingness to travel around the region and work independently.
Send a letter of interest, resume, three references, and two relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin on August 26th and continue until the position is filled.
Please email email@example.com for the fastest response.