PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water, and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
PennFuture seeks a Campaign Manager to lead PennFuture’s campaigns and advocacy efforts in Erie and Northwest Pennsylvania. The Campaign Manager will develop and lead bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaigns that will grow a diverse constituency in Pennsylvania’s portion of the Lake Erie watershed that is equipped to advocate for sound policy solutions to improve water quality and address a range of environmental threats. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for communicating clean water and other issues to PennFuture constituents, the general public, and decision makers. He or she will also interpret the science for public consumption, advocate for effective clean water policies, and work with PennFuture’s legal staff to advance legal action, when appropriate. Our ideal candidate will have both policy and technical expertise in water protection and other environmental issues as well as multiple years of advocacy experience.
The multi-jurisdictional nature of Great Lakes water management requires a well-organized effort in Pennsylvania, sophisticated strategy, leadership, and access to policy expertise, which the Campaign Manager will provide. There is a need for a strong and coordinated set of voices to make more evident the inextricable links between the health of Lake Erie, public health, civic life, and sustainable economic development, and to drive a public policy agenda in that direction. To this end, the Campaign Manager will lead and grow a new coalition of advocates to focus on the issues and policies that will ultimately determine the future success of the area: the quality of water in Lake Erie’s central basin and tributaries to it. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for oversight, scrutiny, and support of these efforts and contribute to a range of other regional PennFuture projects as directed.
In particular, the Campaign Manager:
• Develop and implement advocacy campaigns to support PennFuture’s work in Erie to advance water protections that will reduce pollution flowing into Lake Erie.
• Elevate awareness of threats to water quality and emerging pollution issues in Lake Erie’s central basin and its tributaries.
• Engage and guide new advocates and existing groups into action on policy solutions that reflect PennFuture’s policy priorities.
• Build a diverse constituency – including communities of color, immigrant communities, and traditionally underserved communities, as well as business interests, such as agricultural producers—to advocate for sound policy solutions to improve water quality in Pennsylvania’s portion of the Lake Erie watershed.
• Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of cohesive, integrated campaigns.
• Collaborate with and organize PennFuture’s partners and other stakeholders to support implementation of campaigns.
• Educate decision-makers and the general-public about the importance of clean water protections; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies.
• Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences through media work and writing fact sheets, reports, white/briefing papers, testimony and other strategic communications.
• Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blog and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces.
• Community outreach, event tabling, public speaking; perform other projects and administrative duties as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
• 5+ years in campaign management, advocacy, or policy work.
• Deep understanding of environmental and conservation policies, issues, and science, especially around clean water issues.
• Understanding of regional environmental and conservation landscape.
• Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent social media skills.
• Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
• Detail oriented and highly organized.
• Driver License.
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
The position is based in Erie, PA.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Competitive salary based on experience. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and a 403(b)-retirement plan.
PennFuture is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color, and persons with nontraditional work and educational experience. All who believe they meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the Director of Outreach at email@example.com. Please write “Campaign Manager, Clean Water Advocacy” in the subject line.
Please mention how you learned of this opening.