The Alaska Center is looking for passionate, socially confident, reliable individuals to be advocates and champions for issues of social justice and environmental conservation. This is a temporary seasonal position that will run from approximately May 4 through mid-September based on the needs of the campaign.
Canvassers work with direction from the Canvass Volunteer and Digital Director and the Canvass Director to interface with Alaskans on key conservation and social justice issues identified by a steering committee. Canvassers work to maintain relationships with passionate action takers, identify new supporters and encourage them to take action through education and conversations with the public. Conversations take place in person, at doors, over the phone, and at events. This position may occasionally require travel outside of Anchorage.
Individuals that have a close tie to Alaska’s culture, way of life and/or fishing are encouraged to apply. This is an entry-level position that provides career-building opportunities in a larger conservation movement.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Going door to door, making phone calls and educating Alaskans on timely and important issues that impact their health, well being or rights to their culture
- Encouraging active public involvement such as taking action (IE signing a petition) or attending an event
- Engaging with the public at events
- Recording accurate data, and working with their supervisor to ensure quality and accuracy
The ideal candidate would:
- Have experience canvassing, door knocking, phone banking or working with the public
- Have excellent intrapersonal skills
- Be independent, accountable and honest
- Have experience working with technology and data entry
The salary is dependent on experience and starts at $15/ hour. Work hours will be Sunday - Thursday 2:00pm - 8:00pm but are subject to change. Positions are open until filled. You must be 18 years of age or older to apply for this position.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume Emily Leak-Michie at EMILYL@AKCENTER.ORG
Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Please mention how you learned of this opening.