Clean Ocean Access (COA) is an equal opportunity employer who strives to create an atmosphere where diversity of identity, experience, and background are welcomed, valued, and supported. COA is committed to considering candidates for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability and any other status protected under applicable law, and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. All decisions affecting employment at COA are made based on qualification, performance, and other pertinent work-related factors.
ABOUT CLEAN OCEAN ACCESS
COA was established in 2006 and is a growing citizen science environmental organization that became a non-profit organization in 2014. Located in Middletown, Rhode Island with a footprint primarily on Aquidneck Island, performing some off-island efforts to achieve our mission, with a primary focus on eliminating marine debris, improving coastal water quality, and protecting and preserving shoreline access. COA is a casual and intense work environment where creativity, flexibility, and collaboration are essential and rely on planning, attention to detail, information technology, operational excellence, and continuous improvement.
COA seeks an energized, organized, and passionate communications, marketing, and public relations professional, with an outstanding work ethic, who is creatively fueled & results-driven to achieve our environmental goals and increase our visibility, impact, and financial resources. The individual is responsible to communicate and market the needs and results of the entire organization to establish an engaged community of volunteers, donors, and sponsors that advances our mission-based programming goals and achieves our fundraising objectives. The individual will be part of a team that focuses on outcomes - and has a demonstrated and committed interest in building a career in non-profit communications, marketing, and public relations. The individual must work effectively in a team environment, independently, and demonstrate dependability. This position may oversee interns and improves systems and processes along the way. The individual must be amazingly comfortable with public engagement and customer service, rooted in a reasonable understanding of the programs and projects of the organization. The work effort involves the use of diverse technologies, systems, approaches, and working with the team using multimedia tools and environmental science communication storytelling skills to advance the mission and impact of the organization.
Communications – Responsible for proactive, strategic, optimized, and timely creation of social media, email marketing, media advisories, press releases, and other communications for all programming, projects, sponsors, and fundraising efforts - and sharing the right message with the right audience while adhering to strict deadlines. Responsible for assisting with writing and proof-reading communications (including proof-reading grants and proposals), and sharing innovative communication ideas to help develop, cultivate, and maintain ongoing relationships with funders and volunteers. Responsible for the communications and marketing of the external events calendar. Proactive planning and working closely with staff, interns, and volunteers, to make sure all events result in measurable results, interviews, expressions, and digital media (video and photograph) to be used in all types of communications and publications. Design, build and publish newsletters, reports, brochures, flyers, and program guides adhering to professional style, content, and format, using professional products for graphic design. Liaise with media and partners to disseminate relevant news and announcements.
Marketing – Create all marketing efforts for programming and fundraising activities. Design professional content that re-imagines, re-ignites and re-invents the core programs, projects, seasonal appeals, and annual appeals to attract new volunteers and donors, and to retain existing volunteers and donors. Proactively build and maintain a creative services marketing calendar that includes all events, communication channels and requirements, using the calendar to optimize the channels based on past performance. Share new ideas and methods for marketing efforts to achieve measurable improvements in programming and fundraising.
Public Relations – Responsible for engagement, communications, and coordination efforts for program and project partners. Engage all program and project partners in communications and marketing at their place of business or residence to support the program and project goals. Assist with program and project events to engage decision makers, stakeholders, neighborhood groups, community groups, volunteers, and funders to advance the program and project and goals. Take pride and ownership in data management and customer relationship management.
Other – Abide by existing and new Clean Ocean Access policies and procedures. Assist the Executive Director with other tasks and activities as required.
• Passion for Clean Ocean Access mission
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
• 1+ year of public relations or customer service experience
• 1+ year of communications or marketing experience with references and examples
• 1+ year of professional social media, email marketing, web, and press communications
ESSENTIAL SKILLS OR REQUIREMENTS
• Exceptional command of the English language to articulate clear impactful messaging
• Ability to engage diverse audience through persuasive and effective communication
• Comfortable and confident representing our mission with integrity and authenticity
• Impeccable organizational skills, thoroughness, and extreme attention to detail
• Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
• Self-starter who completes projects on-time, on-budget, and on-quality
• Ability to take initiative, make suggestions, and be strategic to achieve outcomes
• Ability to work effectively independently, as team member, or leader of a team effort
• Experience building and maintaining email marketing campaign using Constant Contact
• Well versed social media skills for Hoot Suite, Facebook, and Instagram and analytics
• Strong skill set with Adobe or related products for graphics and marketing
• Able to perform website updates with WordPress and utilizing new and existing plug-ins
• Build optimized marketing schedules on Smart Sheets using historical data analytics
• Experienced and/or growing skill set for Microsoft Office and Google Services
• Experienced and/or growing skill set for Salesforce customer relationship management
• Technology savvy and stays current to continuously advance all skills and technologies
• Strive for quality outcomes using information technology operational excellence
• Maintain a keen understanding of marketing trends affecting our mission and operation
• Knowledgeable about marine debris, composting, recycling, water quality topics
• Professional and confident and understands the confidentiality of information
• Positive attitude, strong work ethic, sense of humor. Laughter and enjoying are a must!
• Confident with time management and communicating areas of concern and opportunity
• Has own transportation, driver’s License and pass a RI Criminal Background Check
Enjoying life outside of work, especially activities connected with the ocean is important to us, however COA is a small team with an expansive footprint of functions and demanding workload. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands. Project and event specific activities require extreme commitment and flexibility of schedule including non-standard business hours such as nights and weekends. The organization focuses on outcomes, rather than a set schedule and employees are responsible to project, anticipate, propose, plan, and execute a schedule that achieves all outcomes on-time, on-budget, and on-quality.
• Starting salary commensurate with experience
• Annual bonuses dependent on individual, organization, and market performance
• Annual investment for professional development or tuition reimbursement
• Holidays and paid time off & health and dental insurance
• Ocean and watershed view with small but important workplace perks
HOW TO APPLY
Please send one (1) email to email@example.com with one (1) PDF document that is three (3) pages in length. The EMAIL title and PDF naming convention is “2020_CMC_firstname.lastname” (Example, if your name was Jamie Smith, the title would be 2020_CMC_Jamie.Smith). The 1st page is a signed cover letter expressing why you are a great fit for the position. If you are missing any of the preferred qualifications, or essential skills and requirements, please explain your game plan of how to address it. The 2nd page is a resume that shows alignment with the position and employment history. The 3rd page include links to online portfolio, initiatives, projects, pertinent examples, and a listing of at least three references (context of reference, name, address, email, phone). References will NOT be contacted until applicant has provided approval after completing 1st interview.