Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
The Electrical Designer will be responsible to prepare the electrical plans including wiring and physical layout drawings to support a solar photovoltaic power plant design package using CAD software tools. The design and drafting consists of typical AutoCAD drawings such as AC Single Line Diagram(s), DC Single Line Diagram(s), grounding plans, aboveground and underground cabling, block diagrams, installation details, wiring drawings and physical layout drawings.
The Electrical Designer will work closely with the Lead Electrical Designer, staff Electrical Engineers and discipline designers to quickly and efficiently produce project design drawings.
• Minimum of five years of hands on in drafting using AutoCAD
• Minimum of four years in electrical consulting engineering, electrical construction or equivalent design and construction. Experience must include physical electrical layout.
• Prior experience in preparing AC & DC single line diagrams, grounding drawings, underground cabling systems, switchgear & transformer physical layout drawings, bill of materials, etc.
• Prior experience in design/drafting medium voltage electrical systems (high voltage electrical systems – a plus)
• High School Diploma or GED Required
• Associates Degree, preferred
• Expert in AutoCAD
• Knowledge of drafting standards and symbols
• Strong communication skills and previous experience interfacing with construction personnel and vendors
• Work multiple tasks and projects
• Coordinates and cooperates with the Project Lead Designer and Lead Electrical Engineer, to ensure the smooth flow of all information necessary for the scheduled completion of the overall project design/drafting effort
• Utilize corporate drafting standards for drawing preparation
• Candidate will be required to perform work quickly using AutoCAD
• Manage drawing revision notation in accordance with company standards
• Organize/maintain all revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information in logical & well-structured manner
• Looks for and suggests improvements in assigned project areas
• Ability to generate CAD drawings using appropriate workspace, borders, menus, and drafting tools from sketches provided by others or similar project documents
• Ability to import images in AutoCad and overlay in scale
• Prepare material take-offs
• Produce a construction bill of materials
• Other duties as assigned
Job description subject to change at any time
• This position will report to the Manager of Engineering - EPC
• Willingness to travel to project job sites on as needed basis
Project Site (non-craft) Requirements:
• Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
• Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
• Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
• Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
• 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
• Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
• May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
• May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
• Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
Office Physical Requirements:
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best service our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
AutoCAD, Design and Construction
Associate, Diploma or GED (Required)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.