Array Technologies, Inc. has been the world’s leading solar tracking company for nearly 30 years. We are experiencing explosive growth built upon our best-in-class products and dynamic team. Join the global leader in tracking technology and help us bring clean, reliable, and economic solar power to the world.
Are you passionate about clean technology? Do you have a need to organize things wherever you go? Do you find fulfillment in knowing you are standing behind a 100% tested, rock-solid product? Array is currently seeking a Lead PV Designer to help take us to the next level of product reliability.
This position is responsible for working with groups of engineers, and drafters, reviewing technical specifications for project designs, drafting engineering drawings for solar projects, using the appropriate design techniques, tools, and principles. AutoCAD will be the primary tool to create such drawings. Prior experience with working on layouts for utility scale solar projects is required. The successful candidate must have knowledge of AutoCAD, prior experience with designing solar projects, electrical system design knowledge, thorough understanding of building codes, electrical codes, and fire codes. This position is full-time and exempt.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical directions to engineers and designers in the execution of electrical scope of work on medium and large sized PV projects.
• Ensure all work carried out confirms with agreed codes and practices, meets all requirements of the project specifications, and ensure all work is carried out within agreed schedules, budgets and procedures in a safe manner.
• Prepare/review electrical load lists, power system studies, single lines, equipment layouts, area classifications, sizing calculations, schematics, equipment specifications, data sheets, requisitions and prepare project summary for quotes, and contract documentation.
• Perform routine and complex engineering, design, analysis or other technical tasks within the electrical discipline utilizing current technology, available standards, calculation software, templates and cataloged products.
• Efficiently produce detailed, accurate design drawings and specifications for project drawings, layouts, parts, and assembly drawing views, using AutoCAD (CAD) software.
• Review and analyze project specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data assessment factors affecting tracker/row designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
• Prepare conceptual design for solar projects including selection of major components, equipment layouts, single-line diagrams, and etc.
• Optimize PV plant design according to technical and economic conditions.
• Design layouts with considerations for electrical PV systems such as inverter, wiring management, and shading.
• Coordinate and consult with engineers and others to design, layout or detail components and systems, and resolve design or other problems.
• Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
• Modify and revise designs to customers’ revised applications.
• Lay out, draw, and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
• Check all output for accuracy.
• Work with sales, electrical engineering, and civil engineering team as necessary for creating PV layouts.
• Other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience in designing solar project layouts.
• Knowledge of the ASCE 7, IBC, ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEC and other industry codes, specifications and standards
• Good mathematical skills. Ability to create and use proper math formulas to solve drawing problems.
• Ability to work independently with minimal to no supervision.
• Ability to effectively communicate and convey information verbally and in writing.
• Speak, read and write English fluently. A second language is a plus.
Education and Experience
• AutoCAD experience required
• SolidWorks experience preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
• Proficiency in other basic office software a plus
• Any Bachelor’s degree, related to PV system design
• 5 + years system design experience in solar industry, 10 + is preferred