Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar energy systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Design Engineer I to join our Chicago, IL team .
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The candidate will work with a team of design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to design, review and approve designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to 4MW.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Draft plan sets using AutoCAD referencing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) like the Plan Set Content Standards, Design Standards and others.
• Attend daily progress meetings on projects they are assigned to and update the team on the progress that has been made on their projects.
• Work with a Senior Design Engineer for direction on technical aspects of the projects
• Update the plan sets with the feedback and corrections from the team members and resubmit for final approval.
• Be a part of the final review meeting for each project helping the SDE draft the changes to the plan set in real time and submit the finalized plan for PE approval at the end of the process.
• Use Borrego’s tools such as the Design Tool and others to finalize the electrical part of the design.
• Once the plan sets are released, work with the PE team, SDE’s and Operations personnel to update the plans with any changes from the field.
• Actively collaborate with other members to improve Borrego’s design tools and SOP’s and provide feedback on their experience with those tools.
• Work closely with the manager to create a development plan including but not limited to progress towards a NABCEP certification.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• B.S. degree required
• Minimum 1-3 years’ experience preferred
• Must have a strong understanding of all relevant codes including a demonstrated experience with utility networks across the country.
• Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners.
• Must be open minded, creative, and possess the ability to modify and expand theories to find creative solutions within the confines of the code.
• Must be confident; must possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts.
• The successful candidate must be a high energy, resourceful and organized engineering professional.
• The ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects is a must
• Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts
• Solid written and oral communication skills are a must
• Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
• Experience with cost estimation of designs preferred
• Computer proficiency with; AutoCAD, PVSYST, MS Project and MS Excel experience preferred
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you. Apply: https://www.borregosolar.com/careers