Con Edison Solutions (CES)—a subsidiary and registered trademark of Consolidated Edison, Inc. (NYSE: ED) —is a leading healthcare consultant that specializes in providing engineering, construction management, commissioning and forensic engineering services related to mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and renewable systems and solutions. In addition to providing the aforementioned professional services, Con Edison Solutions is an expert in infrastructure planning, utility use optimization, energy cost reduction and demand response programs.
CES has a growing project pipeline and we are looking to add an essential member to the Valhalla, NY or Tampa, FL team. The Senior Engineer will primarily be responsible for engineering and design of photovoltaic solar systems, including solar paired with Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS). The Senior Engineer will participate in activities leading to the successful execution and delivery of solar projects to the CES Project Development and Renewable Energy Management Teams. The Senior Engineer will work within the Renewables Team adhering to company design standards and quality for completing designs of Photovoltaic and battery storage systems. The Senior Engineer will seek to improve upon company standards when possible and consistently deliver engineering assignments on time and on budget.
The Senior Engineer’s secondary responsibility is to review solar and battery energy storage system engineering/design, modeling, and performance data submitted to the CES Renewables Team for evaluation and consideration by outside design companies or from other members of the team. In reviewing such information, the Senior Engineer will seek to protect the Company against errors, omissions and oversight, document all sources of due diligence, and keep records of same. Once a project is contracted, the Senior Engineer will be responsible for the seamless transfer of projects to the Project Manager (PM) for construction management and provide support to the PM, as required, throughout the construction process. The Senior Engineer should be capable of producing AutoCAD drawings suitable for interconnection, permitting and construction.
The Senior Engineer is expected to participate in the development, preliminary design, qualification phase, detailed design and installation phases associated with PV and BESS projects.
• Development Phase: The Senior Engineer will produce or oversee the production of the pre-conceptual (“fly-over”) designs with accompanying production estimates. Additional Senior Engineer responsibilities include preliminary findings or opinions relative to structural, electrical, geotechnical, environmental, permitting, and zoning challenges for projects.
• Preliminary Design Phase: The Senior Engineer will ensure pre-conceptual designs are advanced to the Conceptual Design level, taking into account dimensioned shade obstructions, structural limitations (known or anticipated), and existing electrical distribution systems limitations. The Senior Engineer will perform and/or oversee the work flow in this phase, ensuring material and labor estimates are brought to conceptual design level accuracy. The Senior Engineer will also contract with outside consultants when necessary to obtain assessments of project structural or geotechnical considerations, interconnect issues, and to identify the required approvals from Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) and identify the probable cost to obtain such approvals.
• Qualification Phase: The Senior Engineer will ensure that conceptual designs are advanced to Preliminary Design level. At this level, the Senior Engineer will work with the Project Manager to produce (or obtain) investment grade firm costings, including the costs of structural, electrical, interconnect or permitting work. The Senior Engineer will produce investment grade capacity and production estimates. The Senior Engineer will communicate with and transmit this information to the solar development staff. The Senior Engineer will communicate their assessment of commercial risk factors and may suggest ways to mitigate same. The Senior Engineer will work with Sales to prepare project materials for the customers review.
• Proposal Phase: The Senior Engineer will provide the final elements of firm final proposals, inserting all production and pricing related elements that are nested into the contract executables, and for checking the overall accuracy before execution. For bids and RFPs, the Senior Engineer will provide written descriptions and narratives for designs, modeling, installation and performance standards, exceptions etc.
• Implementation Phase: The Senior Engineer will produce a detailed project scope of work (SOW) and prepare a detailed bill of materials (BOM), along with all other technical elements of Engineer Procure and Construct (EPC) contracts, the requirements of a response to an RFP or as required for a response to an ES ECM in conjunction with the Project Manager. The Senior Engineer will setup a design review meeting with the Project Manager to walk through the design drawings. The Senior Engineer will provide continued consultation and support to the PM as required during construction through review of submittals, requests for information (RFI) during commissioning, and after commissioning as required by the Asset Manager or Owner’s representative.
Design and engineer solar PV and PV/BESS systems for project specific scopes as presented by the development team or the renewable energy operations manager. Design to include scope of work, complete bill of materials, specifications, (when required) bid drawings and project schedule
Maintain design and proposal requirements, knowledge of codes and standards, design procedures, methods and process, and improve efficiency of project development and project selection process
Assist project development team in communicating value proposition to client
Assist with preparation of investment review materials for IRC and Board approvals
Provide technical guidance for legal and business decision making
Support Project Manager during construction and commissioning
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS:
Undergraduate engineering degree from an accredited college or university in electrical engineering preferred – power systems engineering course work is a plus
Registered Professional Engineer preferred
Continuing education in the areas of solar energy systems (PV, CPV, CSP, SHW)
Certifications in solar energy and related areas (NABCEP, LEED)
Minimum of 5 years of commercial PV system design, permitting, construction, commissioning and O&M on C&I and Utility scale projects.
BESS design and integration experience preferred.
Experience in providing technical support to a sales force on a range of energy-related projects with accountability for project performance and design
Fully versed in PV Syst and Helioscope
Strong AutoCAD skills and knowledge; able to fully CAD and produce drawings for projects
Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to represent the company well
Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Working knowledge with spreadsheet based financial modeling
Energy modeling, PV specific modeling, standard electrical calculations, basic structural and mechanical calculations
Specifications and SOW writing with MasterSpec
Drafting with AutoCAD
Ability to travel up to 30% of time, as needed