Requisition ID: 1313
REC Solar is a trusted provider of high-quality solar and energy-saving solutions to a wide range of commercial customers nationwide, including businesses, governments and non-profits. The company provides financed end-to-end service offerings to help its customers reduce energy costs, decrease greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrate corporate sustainability. As a Duke Renewable Ventures portfolio company, REC has access to an unprecedented depth of expertise and partners that we can use to positively impact our customer’s energy strategies.
Our team has unmatched expertise in helping customers maximize their solar investments. Their skillsets, passion and commitment to our clients sets us apart. We are looking for team members that want to make a difference at REC Solar, for our customers and in the world.
The Director of Planning, Quality, and Compliance is responsible for the planning, organizing and implementing the construction schedule, developing and managing the quality assurance, quality control program, and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local regulations. This position is responsible for working with Operational Effectiveness, Engineering, Project Management, and Construction to develop and advance a coordinated project implementation plan to achieve overall business success.
The position is responsible for providing leadership and directing all activities involving the development, implementation, and management of the planning, quality assurance, and quality control programs associated with distributed and renewable energy (e.g. solar, resiliency, microgrid, etc.) project implementation and construction. Projects may be located across the United States, including Hawaii; and are independently contracted, customer and site specific. This role works closely with the Directors of Project Delivery and Construction Management to ensure effective adherence to the portfolio project plan by providing pre-construction coordination and proactive quality control, training, oversight, testing and commissioning.
The position will lead, organize, and develop the Planning and Quality workforce to effectively support project implementation to ensure delivery on-time, on-budget, and exceeding performance requirements and customer expectations. The role is responsible for developing and maintaining multi-disciplinary relationships with external construction management companies in pursuit of quality, customer satisfaction, and other performance management metrics. Additionally, this position is responsible for managing business and contractor licenses in compliance with state and local regulations.
The role is customer facing and is responsible for operating across the continental United States and Hawaii. The role will manage managerial and senior professional direct reports in support of deploying an annual capital budget exceeding $100 million.
Our ideal Director of Planning, Quality & Compliance will
Strategically develop and build a Planning & Quality department ensuring that project implementation plan is delivered to meet overall business expectations including construction quality and customer satisfaction
• Develop the construction schedule, including defining Sub-contractor or Self-perform implementation in alignment with overall business success targets and in coordination with Operational Effectiveness, Engineering, Project Management, and Construction leadership.
• Manage the business license, continuity, and compliance programs so that risk is minimized, and employees meet company requirements.
• Ensure that the Commercial Construction department establishes industry construction standards that meet high standards.
• Define, measure, and achieve KPI metrics and objectives.
• Collaborate with Director of Engineering to work with Engineering and Construction teams so they are aligned and properly communicate and achieve project success during engineering and construction interface activities
• Strategically collaborate with Director of Commercial Projects to ensure Project Management, Contracts Administration and Construction are aligned to ensure proper communication and project success during project management, contracts administration, and construction interface activities
• Provide direction to construction services team on what is expected in relationship with supply chain management teams and make sure construction team is following processes.
• Strategically work with Director of Engineering, Director of Commercial Projects, Supply Chain Management, and other Shared Services departments to reduce overall company and project costs and create efficient EPC activities to ensure streamline and profitability project success
• Develop and fiscally manage Planning & Quality department budgets
• Oversee regular inspections of regional branches/jobsites and commercial jobsites for safety compliance, construction quality/standardization, and project productivity
• Implement and manage company Quality Assurance programs that drive continuous improvement (i.e.: Lesson Learned Meetings)
• Manage the construction’s estimating and take off process for Construction Bill of Material (C-BOM) creation
• Manage and maintain commercial capital tools
• Manages project priorities within functional area to maximize profitability and customer satisfaction.
Manage the business and contractor license program; ensuring compliance with Federal, State, and local requirements
• Develop strategic plan of license holders across the Construction, Safety & Quality and Project Management organization
• Obtain new state contracting licensing for commercial and regional business expansion with the regional locations maintain in a backup capacity
• Ensure that each state’s Responsible Managing Employee (RME) or Qualifying Party (QP) stays current with licensing requirements and are compliant in construction activities in accordance with state or local AHJ requirements
Effective Leadership, Development, Mentoring of staff including programmatic leaders, managers, and technical professionals.
• Provide coaching, mentoring and leadership to direct reports, department team members and throughout the Project Management and Construction department.
• Share tools, learnings, expertise in manner consistent with corporate leadership, and best practices.
• Provide training, guidance, and technical support to direct reports and department staff to ensure employee personal/professional growth and departments’ success
• Work with direct reports to develop personal and business goals
• Staff management responsibilities include:
o Manage day-to-day performance of employees under functional area
o Provide employee feedback on performance; develop annual performance evaluations
o Develop employee technical and business skills utilizing personal development planning tools and position team and individuals for growth opportunities and special assignments
What you’ll need in order to succeed
Four year Bachelors degree in Technical or Business degree
25+ years of prior equivalent work related experience in lieu of a degree
10 years with leadership of project manage and/or construction in addition to a degree
General Contracting and Electrical Contracting licenses; Safety and/or Quality certifications preferred but not required
• Proven 10 years minimum experience in high voltage construction management
• Advanced knowledge of construction management processes, means and methods
• Proven ability to implement programs to address complex needs and problems
• Understanding of all facets of the construction process
• Familiarity with construction management software packages
• Ability to plan and see the “big picture”
• Competent in conflict and crisis management
• Leadership, and work easily with others
• Excellent time and project management skills
• Demonstrated analytic, critical thinking, problem solving and financial evaluation skills
• Strong knowledge of current regulations, compliance and OSHA standards
• Leadership experience including staff management, employee development and motivation of large teams
• Big-picture, strategic thinking including ability to conceptualize new or abstract market approaches, determine how to test, and take necessary steps to deliver new strategy.
• Position requires strong negotiation, analytical skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, strong presentation skills, a consultative approach to recommending process improvements, and staying up to date on key industry trends
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills, including the ability to make decisions and execute with limited information
• Knowledge of construction, distribution, energy management operations and the associated safety and risk mitigation requirements.
Masters Degree – Business (MBA) or Technical (project management or equivalent)
15 years and superior performance in roles that support leadership of a technical organization
General Contractor, Electrical Contractor, and/or Professional Engineering license; Safety and Quality certifications
Experience in the Consultative Sales approach
Experience in the Commercial Business Process to make quick decisions for Business and Customer issues.
Earn & save for your future
We offer a very competitive compensation/benefits package designed for you to earn, save, and live well.
Industry competitive base salary
Paid Time Off (PTO) package
Medical, dental & vision coverage
401K savings plan
Flexible spending account
Casual work environment & dress code
Opportunity for career growth and advancement
Help us realize our vision
To build a sustainable energy future by providing our customers the power to choose solar and smart energy services to lower cost, decrease greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrate corporate responsibility.