SWCA Environmental Consultants is actively seeking resumes from qualified, driven individuals for one or more Environmental Specialist positions in our Pittsburgh, PA office. The successful candidate(s) will lead field crews during natural resources surveys. He/she will also write natural resources reports and prepare environmental permit applications, under the direction of a Project Manager to support regulatory requirements associated with energy development, particularly for natural gas and oil within the Marcellus and Utica shale plays.
The position will entail both field and office work; however, it is expected that up to 75% of time will be spent performing fieldwork, primarily in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio. The ability to travel to work sites regionally, and accommodate multiple overnight stays to complete fieldwork is required. This position also requires hiking in rugged conditions.
This position is a full time, hourly position. Pay will be based on individual qualifications and experience. Hours will vary depending on project workload, and may require long days in the field. Overtime and per diem may also be possible in addition to base pay.
The successful candidate(s) should have the flexibility and willingness to learn company procedures as well as the ability to employ new, improved techniques; make independent decisions when appropriate to the situation; communicate effectively with Project Managers, supervisors, and team members; and make adjustments as a member of a team in order to complete tasks in the most efficient and accurate manner possible.
• The Environmental Specialist will lead field crews during environmental and natural resources surveys, including wetland and stream assessments, botanical and wildlife presence/absence surveys, habitat assessments, and Phase I Environmental Site Assessments in accordance with appropriate regulatory guidelines.
• Prepare field equipment, plan field logistics, and provide oversight of survey implementation and data management.
• Implement and interpret topographic maps, aerial imagery, GPS units, and other scientific tools and equipment under arduous field conditions.
• Collect accurate and complete observational and spatial data in the field, and record data in required formats.
• Prepare technical survey reports for natural resources studies in accordance with appropriate guidelines.
• Assist Project Managers with Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, and National Environmental Policy Act compliance reporting and permitting efforts.
• Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures for natural resource data collection, analysis, and reporting.
• Operate SWCA vehicles safely and follow all required safety protocols.
• Travel to and stay in hotels in remote locations in West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania and potentially other states for short and long durations.
• A Bachelor's degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, environmental management, or a closely related scientific field is required.
• A minimum of five (5) years of field experience, with at least one (1) year in a lead role, performing wetland delineations in the Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio region, including previous experience following the USACE 1987 Wetland Delineation Manual, the Eastern Mountains & Piedmont Regional Supplement, and the Northcentral & Northeast Regional Supplement.
• Prior experience with identification of flora and fauna native to the Northeast and Midwest is required.
• Experience conducting Phase I Environmental Site Assessments in the Northeast and/or Midwest region is a plus.
• Completion of 38-hour wetland delineation training course.
• Ability to conduct field work for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, while carrying equipment and supplies weighing greater than 20 pounds across rugged terrain.
• Strong technical report writing skills, and flexibility to work in both group and one-on-one environments.
• Knowledge of Federal and State environmental regulations and associated permitting guidelines, particularly in West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/9r7ttdrtsnfpqrzf