Description: The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) has an opening for a full-time (40 hours/week) Resource Science Aide to assist the state bat biologist and assistant bat biologist during winter monitoring surveys at hibernacula caves, and with data entry. The Department will be surveying priority Indiana bat (Myotis sodalis) and gray bat (Myotis griscenses) hibernacula from January – March 2019. In-state overnight travel will be required for some surveys. During overnight travel, lodging and meals will be provided. There will also be office work including data entry, organization of equipment, and creating ArcGIS maps.
General Responsibilities Include:
• Entering caves and working in tight spaces underground
• Locating sampling locations (i.e., cave entrances) using GPS units and maps
• Driving trucks and towing trailers
• Carrying 50+ lbs. of equipment over rugged, uneven terrain (up to 1/2 mile)
• Work outdoors in extreme and undesirable conditions (i.e., hot/ cold temperatures, during the night)
• Assist in data collection and data entry
• Creating maps in ArcGIS
Start Date: Jan 1, 2019
End Date: April 15, 2019
Pay Rate: $11.68/ hr
• Valid driver’s license
• Experience using ArcMap and Microsoft Office programs (Word, Access, Excel)
• Comfortable working underground and in tight, enclosed spaces
• Ability to read and interpret cave maps
• Willingness and ability to travel overnight throughout the state
• Accept all responsibilities of the job and assigned tasks
• Demonstrate technical proficiency in areas of responsibility
• Recognize a problem, analyze relevant information, develop solutions and solve problems
• Maintain focus, remain optimistic and persistent even under adversity
• Ability to communicate well with team members, collaborators, supervisors
• Must be able to represent the Department in a professional manner during encounters with the public
• Neat and legible handwriting and attention to detail
• Eastern bat species identification skills
• Low light photography experience
• Rabies vaccinated with current titer check (within 2 years)
• Rock climbing experience
• Caving experience
The Department of Conservation will only hire Unites States citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete an ‘Employment Eligibility Certification” form (Form I-9) and produce requested documentation after employment.
Candidates seeking initial employment must submit to a drug screen following offer of employment.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Application Directions and Contact Person:
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references via email in a single PDF attachment to Jeanette Bailey (Jeanette.Bailey@mdc.mo.gov)
For more information about the position, contact Jeanette Bailey (Jeanette.Bailey@mdc.mo.gov) or Kathryn Womack (Kathryn.Womack@mdc.mo.gov).