City of Oakland
$136,494 - $167,595 Annually
The Environmental Services Manager will be working under administrative direction in the Oakland Public Works Department. The Environmental Services Manager uses operational decision making in the direction and coordination of work in the Environmental Services Division; plans, organizes, manages and directs the review and implementation of the City's major Environmental Services Division projects; and performs related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for the Environmental Services Manager position is a thoughtful and energetic leader in the field of public environmental programs. The selected incumbent will bring strong people management skills within the leadership team to promote transparency and ensure an engaging employee experience. The successful candidate will possess political acumen and be an outstanding leader with a demonstrated track record leading teams and professional staff. The new Manager will also be a team-builder who knows how to balance competing priorities and to collaborate with several stakeholders.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in environmental studies, resource management, environmental engineering or a related field; a Master's degree is desirable
• Three years of managerial or progressively responsible supervisory experience in environmental management
• Individuals who are appointed to this position will be required to maintain a valid California Driver's License throughout the tenure of employment OR demonstrate the ability to travel to various locations in a timely manner as required in the performance of duties
• Federal, state and local laws, regulations and codes pertaining to the environment
• Solid waste and recycling programs, and environmental remediation
• Principles and practices of effective management and supervision, including long and short-range planning
• Principles and practices of contract negotiation and administration
• Effective public contact and community relations concepts, including negotiation techniques and presentation skills
• English punctuation, syntax, language mechanics and spelling
• Computer applications
• Budget development and administration
• Analyze complex technical and administrative problems; evaluate alternative solutions; recommend or adopt effective courses of action
• Manage, select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned staff
• Prepare comprehensive complex reports
• Negotiate and manage contracts
• Prepare and administer division budgets
• Present ideas persuasively in English in both oral and written formats
Closing Date: April 12, 2019
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oaklandca.