• Under the direction of the Chief of Forestry & Horticulture, with latitude for independent judgment and decision-making, develop, promulgate and uphold standards and protocols for the care and preservation of horticultural installations citywide including development and communication of a vision, goals, policies and performance measurement systems.
• Convene Horticulture Managers working group to provide guidance, coordinate activities, develop policies, and ensure standard application of best practices.
• Research new materials, methods and policies relating to plant care including recommending appropriate plant palettes, integrated pest management, horticulture technologies and methodologies.
• Plan and coordinate horticulture field training, professional development classes and recognition programs within the agency and in collaboration with other institutions as necessary.
• Perform horticulture tasks as necessary including consultation for special projects.
• Prepare briefings, reports, analyses, evaluations and correspondence. Provide regular updates on the status of various projects and programs and ensure that projects advance in a timely manner. Represent agency at relevant committees, Boards, and working groups.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape architecture and four years of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive capacity; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed an examination for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive experience as described above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Master’s degree with major study in horticulture, nursery production or landscape management.
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 08/23/19
For a complete description and for external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 401425
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.