NYC Parks is seeking applicants with prior fieldwork experience, preferably in vegetation monitoring, to assist with collection of vegetation data that will be used to inform environmental protection, invasive management and to protect rare native plants. The Vegetation Monitor will work with NYC Parks Ecologists using Global Positioning System (GPS) units to collect field data. The Vegetation Monitor will aid in data entry and data clean up. In addition, there may be some opportunities to help Ecologists with other fieldwork. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform responsible work to support the work of Ecologists.
• Collect vegetation data in forested areas of New York City.
• Use GPS units and Geographic Information System (GIS) software, input collected field data and plot point.
• Enter data and perform data quality checks with Microsoft Excel and Access and other software.
• Organize and maintain plant specimen collection and associated log.
• Categorize data and maintain database.
• Create field maps detailing habitat type and urban structures.
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience in biology, botany, ecology, forestry or related field.
2. Knowledge of northeastern plant species (herbaceous and woody) with expertise in herbaceous and rare plant identification.
3. Ability to conduct research and work independently.
4. Experience with GPS and GIS and proficiency with Microsoft Office.
5. Excellent writing, analytical and statistical skills.
6. Ability to sometimes work under adverse conditions (heat, early/late hours, inclement weather, muddy or wet conditions).
7. Valid New York State driver license.
Salary: $37,217 - $61,936 plus excellent benefits. Apply by 9/6/19.
Work Location: Arsenal North, Manhattan
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 404616 For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks