Delaware State University has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate, Fisheries and Aquatic Ecology.
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
The post-doctoral research associate will be assisting the project director with the various research projects focusing on coastal water quality monitoring, nutrient dynamics, and ecological assessments of the various estuarine and coastal research sites. It will be expected from the post-doctoral research associate to coordinate research activities with the research team including the research technician and students. Post-doctoral candidate must be proficient in both field and laboratory research (50% Field Research & 50% Lab Research). The candidate must have knowledge working with aquatic species (i.e. fish, oyster, crab) and have the background to be proficient with environmental sampling and is familiar with the various water and soil nutrient testing. It is expected of the candidate to have some analytical skills for environmental testing.
Specific expectations of a candidate for this project are:
• To help with planning and organizing field research activities
• To monitor, collect, and proper storage of environmental samples
• To analyze water, sediment, oyster, and fish samples
• To be instrumental using and calibrating the field and laboratory tools and equipment
• To prepare stock and working solutions in the laboratory for water quality and other ecological assessment
• To study the environmental and spatial characteristics of Delaware and Maryland coasts
• To have the background to understand the relationship between physical, biological, and chemical water quality analyses with the land use activities
• Assist with ordering laboratory supplies and managing the laboratory
• Capable of troubleshooting problems occurred during experiments
• To assist the project director with student training and mentoring
• To assist the project director with data analysis and statistical assessment
• To involve in literature collection and writing a scientific publication and project reports
• To assist the project director with the public outreach activities
• To assist the project director with the laboratory hands-on training activities of the students
• To assist project director mentoring students in the field testing and analyses
The post-doc will work closely with faculty and staff of the Center for the Integrated Biological and Environmental Research (CIBER). The incumbent will work primarily on ecological and environmental monitoring and laboratory nutrient analysis of water and coastal sediment, oyster reef and aquaculture site assessment, oyster growth and survival, data entry, student training and mentoring, and other duties assigned by the principle investigator. The candidate must have a flexibility with her/his working schedule and strong in environmental monitoring and aquatic ecology background.
Candidate must possess a Ph.D. degree in the field of Aquatic Ecology, Fisheries, Marine Biology, Aquaculture, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, or a similarly related field. Candidates should have prior field experience, especially working on boats and/in estuarine systems or other water bodies. The incumbent must work well in a group, as well as individually. The candidate should have the experience in physical and chemical water quality, using and calibrating environmental sonde is highly sought. Good computer and troubleshooting skills are beneficial as well. Experience with laboratory nutrient sampling technique and oyster/fish/crab is requirement. Enthusiastic about the long term position and willingness to learn new research techniques is admirable. The research requires long hours of sampling during the field season and requires flexibility for availability. Candidate must know how to drive and have a proven experience working on the boat and in the field.
Preferred Personality: Persistence, highly motivated, patient, curious, efficient, good team player and also good as an independent researcher, tenacious, task-oriented, friendly, and enjoys outdoor, has good writing skills.
Please send your complete applications to:
Dr. Gulnihal Ozbay at email@example.com or 302-233-8453 for additional information or any questions you may have. Please submit your cover letter, resume (or CV), transcript and two names and contact information for your references via online system.