Dynamic Land-Use Ecosystem Modeler Postdoctoral Scholar - 90698
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Division (https://eesa.lbl.gov/our-divisions/climate-ecosystem-sciences/) has an opening for a Dynamic Land-Use Ecosystem Modeler.
What You Will Do:
• Develop modeling capabilities for representing different land-use types within a dynamic vegetation model with plant demography.
• Work with different approaches for model interfacing and coupling between three land models (GCAM, ELM, FATES).
• Ensure consistency of land use and land cover between GCAM, ELM, and FATES.
• Evaluate how ecosystems shifting from natural vegetation to a variety of managed land will impact: carbon stocks, land-subsurface processes, land-atmosphere interactions, and trace gas emissions.
• Test hypotheses for predicting carbon cycle, water cycle, and societal feedbacks from varying forest management under climate change in E3SM; resulting in a peer-reviewed publication(s).
• Explore implications of simulating different energy futures, comparable to different SSPs, with E3SM-GCAM and FATES; resulting in a peer-reviewed publication(s).
What Is Required:
• Ph.D. in ecology, earth sciences, or related field.
• Experience in dynamic and demographic modeling, and/or experience in or knowledge of Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs).
• Experience using land-surface biogeochemical models and ecosystem model development.
• Strong coding and mathematical skills.
• Some experience with gridded datasets for Earth scale models.
• Ability to collaborate with colleagues and advisors at multiple institutions. While this position is located at LBNL, it will involve close collaboration with researchers at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=184111 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.