Straughan Environmental is seeking an Environmental Scientist - Entry Level at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a woman-owned, leading engineering and environmental firm advancing sustainable and resilient communities. With a 25-year history of growth through performance on large, complex, and high-profile projects, we provide solutions to diverse clients in the federal government, local government, transportation, water/wastewater and energy markets. Our mission is advancing sustainable and resilient communities, and we work every day to achieve our mission in surprising ways. Whether our team is managing one of our multi-million dollar environmental compliance programs for Federal agencies like NASA, engineering an ecological restoration project, working on environmental policy and planning, or identifying wetland plants in the field, each member of our team individually and collectively contributes uniquely to advancing sustainable and resilient communities.
Description of the Position:
Support a range of activities related to water quality management, oil operation and storage tank management, hazardous waste management, and release response, as part of a team providing a full range of environmental compliance support activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Utilize technical knowledge and/or experience to assist in ensuring compliance with applicable environmental laws, regulations, and permit conditions.
• Collect samples of stormwater, wastewater, oil, soil, and wastes for analyses.
• Conduct programmatic inspections such as storage tank or waste collection sites.
• Compile and maintain data, prepare reports, and participate in technical reviews.
• Respond to and cleanup chemical spills.
• Provide support to other environmental program areas as assigned.
• Be flexible and work across a wide range of environmental media.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school in relevant scientific discipline.
• Relevant experience in environmental programs, especially at federal installations, is preferred.
• 40-Hour OSHA HAZWOPER training is required but will be provided as needed.
• Ability to gain access to work on a federal government facility.
Our Culture | Our People
Straughan has been selected as one of The Baltimore Sun’s Top Workplaces for the past four consecutive years, and we are committed to providing an engaging workplace where employees are supported in their career goals and professional development, we provide educational assistance, professional development and support in professional credentials. At Straughan, we understand the needs of our workforce. We are committed to continuously evolving and creating practices and policies that meaningfully address the needs and desires of our team. At Straughan we invest fully in you as a whole person. Here are some of the ways we strive to support all of our team– We care about your overall well-being and health— Straughan offers group benefits to include medical, dental and vision coverage. We invest in your continuous learning and development and understand that this is a cornerstone to our success. We understand the importance of recharging and replenishing yourself, so we provide new employees with 15 days of Paid Time Off. We care about your financial future and will provide up to three percent at 100% employer contribution and an additional 50% for another 2% of your match salary to our retirement plan. Lastly, we want to protect you and your future, we provide at no cost to you, short-term and long-term disability along with life insurance. We also know that our world is changing and the way we work has too– we continue to strive to provide flexibility and work/life integration options that support you and those you care about.
EOE/AA Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled – We are an equal opportunity employer –but we are more than that – We are open-minded, and care only about your capability, your drive, and your desire and determination to contribute your gifts and talents fully.
Please apply to Environmental Scientist