Landscape & Natural Areas Manager New York NY
Landscape & Natural Areas Manager
NYC Parks seeks a Landscape & Natural Areas Manager for Van Cortlandt Park. Van Cortlandt Park, in the northwest Bronx, is NYC’s third largest park with 1,146 acres, almost half of which are Forever Wild Preserves. It has the healthiest forest and the most cricket fields in the City’s system and the historic 104 year old cross country running course. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Plan and implement forest, turf and wetland restoration projects using the Van Cortlandt Park Natural Areas Management Plan.
- Supervise gardeners and forest technicians.
- Coordinate forest restoration procedures and reporting with the Natural Resources Group (NRG).
- Work with inter-agency division on design and oversight of capital and other planting related infrastructure projects.
- Oversee management of Parade Ground athletic fields, including permitted use and league/public issues.
- Coordinate field work with volunteers, nonprofit and corporate organizations for forest, turf, wetland and trails management.
- Promote environmental stewardship including leading occasional public tours to promote the park's unique natural areas.
- Establish and uphold agency-wide and Park-specific procedures and policies.
- Purchase supplies and track budgets and contracts.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports for management.
- Assist Bronx District 13 Park Manager with special operations as needed, especially horticultural work.
- Attend Community Board meetings as required by Administrator.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in forest ecology, horticulture, and related fields and four years of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive capacity; or
- A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed an examination for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive experience as described above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
- Knowledge of forest restoration theory and best practices.
- Familiarity with Van Cortlandt Park.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong administrative, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in computer software including Excel, Acces and ArcGIS.
- Valid New York State driver license.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Pesticide Applicator License.
Salary: $65,000 - $78,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 8/25/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 296239
For details about NYC Parks go to www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.