Responsible for supporting the coordination and quality assurance for the ambient air monitoring activities in the Local Air Program for the purpose of preserving and protecting the air quality of Sarasota County. Provide support and back-up coverage for the Storage Tank Compliance Program.
• Performs audits and maintenance on air monitoring equipment. Checks all records and data collected from the ambient air monitoring network according to official SOP’s to assure compliance with the State Quality Assurance Plan, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines, and the Code of Federal Regulations. Aids in the development of SOP’s when necessary. Participates in performance and system audits conducted by the state and EPA.
• Updates and manages the air monitoring computerized database on a daily basis. Supports the data logger computer network to record air monitoring data in the Local Air Program’s database. Reviews minute data and resolves unusual data blocks. Maintain data logger configurations so polling by AirVision and FAMAS is successful. Maintain MET sensors.
• Aids in the maintenance of the equipment inventory records. Recommends and procures equipment necessary to operate the air monitoring network by collecting and evaluating information on potential purchases.
• Independently performs inspection of petroleum and mineral acid storage facilities: Performs associated data entry including associated paperwork, meetings and data entry. Analyzes statistical data, equipment test results and corrosion reports; Advises the ES III, Position 2226 on compliance issues. Provides information and regulatory guidance to owner/operators contracts, consultants, and responds to and investigates tank related complaints.
• Performs a back-up role for responding to air quality complaints. Develops inspection reports and provides support to the air program enforcement coordinator. Also assists with Permit Reviews for the Asbestos Permitting program.
• Attends and participates in meetings, workshops, teleconferences and conference for information and updates on the air monitoring systems and storage tank compliance for Sarasota County.
• Assists the supervisor and manager with other related duties as assigned. Optimize the quality and efficiency of projects, organization-wide, through contribution of technical expertise, man-hours, consultative services and consolidation of services.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in one of the biological or physical sciences, Environmental Engineering or a related field and two (2) years experience of professional experience. A Master's Degree may substitute for one year of professional experience. Progressively responsible professional experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required college degree.
Job Based Competencies: Ability to operate and maintain air monitoring equipment and trouble-shoot/analysis problems, Ability to conduct inspections of petroleum and mineral acid storage facilities.