Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—17,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Are you looking for a new professional challenge and the ability to be a part of a team of engineers and scientists who are collaboratively and positively changing the coastal Virginia environment? Do you want to lead a team of professionals in the development of innovative and resilient solutions to rain and tidal events in a prosperous and vibrant coastal community affected by climate change and sea level rise? If so, then you want to work with Tetra Tech in our Norfolk, Virginia office. The Compliance Specialist we seek will support environmental compliance requirements and reporting with special focus on the Chesapeake Bay area. The candidate will manage and perform technical tasks associated with a variety of permit applications and compliance requirements. Complex technical/regulatory challenges are anticipated. This person is expected to prepare permit applications, negotiate permit conditions, perform and manage compliance requirements, provide staff training, meet with regulators, prepare reports, and maintain environmental compliance records. Additionally, this position will require project management and oversight of innovative design and construction techniques planned for various storm water, flood management, water quality or environmental projects. This is a position for a versatile leader who is ready to take on exciting challenges in a dynamic coastal environment.
• Provide support to on-going and new projects focused on compliance. Specific areas include, but is not limited to: NPDES/Storm water permitting and management support; SWPPP and other Pollution Prevention Plans; RCRA facility permitting and monitoring (OB/OD, Hazardous Waste Management, etc.); SPCC and storage tank management programs; EPCRA; TSCA program support, air quality program support, etc.
• Interpret current and future local, state, and federal promulgated regulations and properly apply to compliance activities.
• Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate detailed phases of technical work as part of a major project or as a standalone project.
• Serve as a project manager on various types of projects.
• Serve as technical lead or task manager for projects with complex scope.
• May require preparation of subcontractor procurements, specifications, and bidding documents.
• Prepare project proposals and successfully complete the awarded project in accordance with the proposal schedule and budget.
• Interface with Client Project Managers, government regulators, other contractors and other representatives.
• Independently conduct in-briefs and out-briefs.
• Visit client offices, attend regulatory agency meetings, attend public hearings, and participate in field visits based on project requirements.
• Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an applicable field (i.e., engineering, science, environmental studies, or a closely related discipline). Post-secondary education is an advantage.
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience with a minimum of 4 years of experience focused on compliance projects.
• Virginia Department of Transportation project experience is desired.
• Candidates must have knowledge of Chesapeake Bay specific requirements.
• Candidates must have experience providing strong technical direction/support regarding permitting and project implementation.
• Experience with the preparation and submission permit applications is required.
• Experience in interfacing with state and local agencies as well as community boards for project planning is beneficial.
Candidates must be self-motivated, creative and have strong organizational, inter-personal communication, writing and presentation skills. Candidates must be able to work independently within a team and be a collaborative team member that approaches challenges with a positive attitude. Candidates must be able to function with little direction to meet project goals and able to take conceptual direction for project tasks and developed detail plans to complete task. Computer skills must include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Professional Registration (Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager - CRCM, PE, PG, PMP, CPESC, CPSWQ, etc.) is preferred but not required. 40-Hour OSHA HAZWOPER training and current 8-hour refresher training is preferred.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/careers.