In this full-time, exempt, Houston-based position, the Environmental Permitting Specialist will support Merjent Project Managers with environmental permit acquisitions for energy infrastructure projects (pipelines, electric transmission, etc.) as they progress into managing projects. This position requires technical knowledge of federal, state, and local permitting regulations to support energy-related projects, or interest in developing such skills over the course of employment.
The Environmental Permitting Specialist is responsible for multi-tasking, including the following:
• Assist Project Managers, external clients, and federal, state, and local agencies with tasks associated with applying for and securing permits related to the energy sector (oil and natural gas pipelines, electric generation/transmission facilities, wind/solar facilities, etc.).
• Support projects that involve analysis of the environmental impacts of proposed energy projects, including analyses to support development of Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) and Environmental Assessments (EA).
• Support administrative functions as needed, including document production and technical editing of large, detailed scientific documents.
• Work with internal Project Managers and external clients in a manner that is consistent with Merjent’s reputation for excellence.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
• B.A. or B.S. in environmental science or environmental studies, environmental engineering, or closely related field.
• Minimum 2 years of environmental permitting experience or familiarity with the National Environmental Policy Act or permitting processes through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, State Historic Preservation Offices, state Public Utilities Commission or Public Services Commission, or other federal, state, or local regulatory agencies, with preference to work completed in the energy industry.
• Strong self-starter tendencies and excellent organizational/task management skills.
• Ability to multi-task; adapt quickly; work well under pressure, both in large teams and one-on-one; and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to analyze, organize, and interpret data from multiple sources and translate that information into direct, easy to understand written deliverables.
• Desire to progress and eventually manage projects independently.
• Must be detail-oriented with excellent problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral communication and technical writing skills. Proficient at the Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); technical editing and ArcGIS experience a plus.
• Must be willing to travel as needed (0-20%), depending on the needs of the project. Some field work and may be required depending on background and/or interest.
Candidates interested in applying should submit a cover letter, resume, and a technical writing sample to email@example.com.
Please mention how you learned of this opening.