Master PlannerUpper Marlboro MD
Description Position #12441
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Master Planner with a strong environmental policy and planning background, including proficient technical review skills, to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents, is characterized by urban, suburban and rural areas, and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Master Planner position. Examples of Important Duties
Under very general direction, the Master Planner applies land use planning, environmental planning, historic preservation planning, urban design, and expert knowledge of the development review process as well as professionally performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to interpret and review environmental plans and environmental regulations such as the Woodland and Wildlife Habitat Conservation Ordinance and the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area Process is important. The candidate must possess innovative problem-solving skills, strong leadership skills, and be willing to work in a diverse environment. Qualified candidates will be expected to effectively communicate planning and design principles verbally, graphically, and in writing. Qualified candidates must have proven superior negotiation skills and provide thorough planning recommendations. A combination of public and private experience is preferred.
- Analyzes and provides recommendations regarding proposed state and local legislation affecting specific planning programs.
- Provides expert counsel to senior management and professional colleagues on planning issues.
- Works with the Planning Board, Zoning Hearing Examiner, County Council, and/or other high-level public officials to resolve complex planning related public policy issues on a regular basis within the area(s) of expertise.
- Prepares, presents, and reviews items to be presented before the Planning Board and District Council.
- Consults with developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, governmental agencies, and the public about planning and design-related issues.
- Serves on Commission, County, and State Committees that exist for promoting, reviewing or coordinating various aspects of the planning function, or whose activities may impact upon the planning function.
- Develops formal and informal partnerships with other recognized government, academic, and private sector organizations within a field of expertise.
- Reviews and provides recommendations on development review applications.
- Oversees the development review applications for the section.
- Provides environmental expertise on long range planning projects such as master plans, sector plans, green infrastructure plans, agriculture preservation, and other functional master plans.
To apply: https://www.mncppc.org/jobs reference position #12441