Naturalists at Large is a leading outdoor and environmental education group in California. Since 1985, we have provided outdoor education programs for tens of thousands of students from over three hundred schools.
We pride ourselves on our ability to facilitate outdoor programs that are exciting and fun, while giving students an understanding of the beauty and diversity of our planet. We are committed to teaching people of all ages the skills to be at ease in the outdoors, and to come to a better understanding of the Western ecosystems: mountains, deserts, and seashores.
Naturalists at Large provides Outdoor Education experiences for public and private schools throughout the school year.
We use over 35 sites throughout California:
Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Point Reyes, Pinnacles, Colorado River, Catalina Island, Coastal Redwoods, Santa Monica Mountains, Santa Cruz Mountains, and San Bernardino Mountains.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Lead students in 1-6 day outdoor education programs for grades 4-12. Teach natural history, human history, environmental education, team building & a variety of outdoor skills: camping, hiking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, and backpacking. Assist specialists (rock climbing; ropes course; kayak/snorkel) with student instruction. All NAL employees are responsible for transporting themselves from site to site throughout California.
- Previous Professional Experience working with youth in an outdoor setting.
- Significant personal outdoor experience.
- Group management, time management, and solid facilitation skills for team building and initiatives
- Demonstrated leadership/facilitator skills and safety/risk management skills
- 4-year University Degree
- Familiarity with academic outdoor programs and a variety of outdoor activities
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR. (Wilderness First Responder or WEMT training is desirable). Please submit certification copies with application. On-Line certifications are NOT acceptable.
- Satisfactory response from the California Livescan Fingerprinting process
AVAILABILITY: Fall season will run August 17-October 26 for new staff.
BENEFITS: Entry-level compensation is $107 per day. For an average 4-day program plus a staff preparation day the pay is $535 plus room (or tent space) and board during program. A variety of specialized training are offered to employees throughout the season. Pro purchase programs.
TO APPLY: Applications are available on our website at naturalistsatlarge.com. Return your application, cover letter and resume to Naturalists at Large at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 3517, Ventura, CA 93006. Phone interviews began in May and are on-going until positions are filled. For more information, call (805) 642-2692.
Naturalists at Large is “An Equal Opportunity Employer” –M/F/D/V