This person will actively introduce students to Experiential Education, Outdoor Recreation, and Sustainability while engaging and challenging them to learn and participate in these diverse opportunities. Safety, respect, and dignity of the individual student are core values. S/he will teach, participate in recreation, mentor advisees, and communicate with students, parents, educational consultants, and other faculty and administrators. For the first academic year, the position is as an Intern; the opportunity exists for promotion to an Assistant for a second academic year, contingent upon a positive performance review.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
● Support Wasatch Academy’s mission, values, institutional goals, and educational philosophy.
● Assist the Kinesthetic Arts Department Chair and the Director of Sustainability and Experiential Education with logistics, gear maintenance, and risk management planning efforts.
● Assist the Kinesthetic Arts Department Chair, the Director of Sustainability and Experiential Education, and the Recreation Director with logistics and implementation of Experiential Immersions (5-day long mini-courses), spring break trips, weekend recreation, and community service learning projects.
1. Co-teach or solo-teach 1-2 sections of classes in the Kinesthetic Arts Department (see below for department description).
2. Assist in instructing outdoor classes as needed.
3. Design and document all relevant curriculum that prepares students to graduate with critical thinking and problem-solving skills, curiosity and imagination, global citizenship and community building, and empathy.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Prior outdoor teaching experience.
● 2 years rock climbing experience, experience with lead climbing and anchor building.
● Ability to quickly establish relationships and effectively collaborate with school community.
● Proficiency in various computer software, programming, and data entry.
● Extremely well organized.
● Value culture of respect, innovation, community, and ownership.
● Wilderness First Responder or higher.
● AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Certification.
● Rock climbing guiding experience.
● Mountain biking experience.
● Yoga teaching certification or experience.
● Other Outdoor Education, Adventure Education, or Kinesthetic Arts Experience.
Intern - $15,000/year
Assistant - salary commensurate with experience and education (with more solo responsibilities).
Room, board, and utilities provided.
Professional Development opportunities.
10-month Position beginning in August 2018.
For more information contact: