Outdoor Education Program Instructor Wernersville PA
The South Mountain YMCA Camps is an independent YMCA camp and conference center located in Wernersville, Pennsylvania. The YMCA serves over 8,500 individuals annually with participants largely drawn from the local area and surrounding communities. The Outdoor Center Program runs year round to provide schools, retreats, family programs, local businesses and organizations an opportunity to experience camp, our programs, our staff and our facilities during the non-summer months. Our Outdoor Center Staff work as part of a team of enthusiastic, energetic leaders who teach lessons in environmental and experiential education programs and run recreational activities such as but not limited to: Forest and Wildlife Ecology, Pond Ecology, Team-building, Low and High Rope Elements. Outdoor Center staff will also assist in janitorial duties, organizing evening programs, completing camp projects, and participating in staff training. The “typical” work week for Outdoor Center staff runs Wednesday through Sunday but can vary. Staff will work programs varying from short day trips to multi-day residential retreats. This job requires long hours. We are looking for individuals who have a true passion for, and sincere love of, the outdoors and education.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Key Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional customer service to guests ranging from school aged children through corporate leaders and adults.
- Teach interdisciplinary science-based and cultural day and evening classes to elementary, middle, and high school students
- Facilitate our ropes course and climbing elements with school-age through adult groups
- Maintain program areas and provide care for educational animals
- Assist with facilities maintenance and basic janitorial duties
Positions are available during the spring (mid/late March to early June) and the fall (mid-August to late November). Qualified applicants can inquire about combining an outdoor education position with a summer camp position to extend employment to 9 months (March to late November).
The typical workweek for Outdoor Education staff runs Wednesday through Sunday, with work programs varying from short day trips to multi-day residential retreats. This job requires long hours (7 a.m. to 9 p.m. some days).
Qualifications and Skills
Candidates must have a cheerful disposition, experience working with children, and experience in public speaking with confidence and comfort addressing groups. Candidates should be comfortable in rustic, outdoor setting in all weather conditions. They should possess creativity, a STRONG work ethic, and initiative. Candidates should be available to work nights and weekends. Applicants should have a BA or BS in Recreation, Education, or a related field.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Environmental Studies, Recreation, Education or related field
- Cheerful disposition
- Experience working with children
- Public speaking skills and confidence in front of groups
- Comfortable in rustic, outdoor setting in all weather conditions
- Creativity, a STRONG work ethic and initiative a must!
- Availability to work nights and weekends
- Onsite housing provided (private rooms in same gender houses with shared bathrooms and common areas)
- Meals in Dining Hall when groups are scheduled and during training
- Internet access
- Archery Instructor and CPR/First aid training
- Comprehensive paid staff training and professional development opportunities
Click here to apply for an outdoor center position today
To contact our Outdoor Center Director, Greg McCrohan, please e-mail email@example.com