Program InstructorDiablo Lake WA
North Cascades Institute (NCI) offers a wide variety of programming for learners of all ages. This position will teach in our fall 2018 Mountain School program. The work location for the Program Instructor is at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center, which is in the heart of the North Cascades National Park near Diablo, WA. The Learning Center is approximately 20 miles from the nearest gas station and post office, and 60 miles from towns with full amenities.
Fall Mountain School Instruction 80%
- Serve as an instructor for Mountain School
- Function as Camp Tender for Mountain School, when scheduled
- Conduct peer teaching observations of other Program Instructors
- Create a safe learning environment for youth and adults through positive reinforcement, role-modeling, and cultural sensitivity
- Instruct lessons in natural and cultural history, science, the arts, and other subjects
- Lead program participants on trail hikes
- Assist with maintaining and managing inventory of program educational materials
- Participate in program briefing and debriefs
- Participate in all scheduled program trainings including check-ins with supervisor
- Manage, respond to, and report any risk management incidents
- Design and implement program lessons with clear learning objectives
- Engage in self-guided research into relevant natural history topics
- Support marketing and registration activities that promote enrollment
- Conduct other duties as assigned
Commitment to Mission and Values
Successful candidates will have a commitment to the mission of North Cascades Institute and the organization’s effort to promote diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the Institute’s culture, work and partnering relationships to ensure that the Institute and its programs are welcoming, relevant, and accessible.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and ages
- Enthusiasm for learning and teaching about the natural world
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent training in related field
- A current Wilderness Advanced First Aid certification level or higher upon date of hire. Wilderness First Responder certification preferred
- An ability to lift and carry 30 pounds, perform physically demanding work, backpack and hike over uneven terrain
- An ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Note: Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check
Start/ End Dates
August 23, 2018 – December 14th, 2018 (4 month season)
This is a temporary/seasonal, full time, non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay. The wage is $13.00 per hour and benefits include sick leave and holiday pay. Housing can be provided for the duration of the position for $200/month (shared) or $300/month (private).
Friday, July 13, 2018 (priority; open until filled)
Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume.
Equal Opportunity Employer