Western Suffolk BOCES is looking for a dynamic educator to lead its Outdoor Environmental Education Program. The OEEP provides innovative environmental and science education programs to school districts.
• BA in Biology, Environmental Science or Master’s degree in Science Education preferred
• New York State Certification in Science Teaching
• A minimum of three years’ experience of science program management
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide leadership for the Outdoor Environmental Education Program. Work as a member of a team, including networking with colleagues, staff, volunteers, State Parks, BOCES, SCOPE, teachers, science coordinators, consultants, and field trip sites.
• Work independently to lead the Outdoor Environmental Education Program (OEEP), including managing day-to-day operations and long term projects and conduct occasional environmental education programs for teachers and students. Conduct professional development for OEEP and district staff concerning science and environmental education.
• Oversee the operation of three Outdoor Learning Labs located in New York State Parks, including liaison with Parks Management, training and supervision of Lab Managers and facility management.
• Manage all aspects of this K-12 environmental education program including staffing, budgeting, managing district commitments, contracts, planning, scheduling, creating reports and assessing programs.
• Establish goals and objectives for staff and the OEEP to support program growth, including grant work and forging cooperative partnerships with other agencies. Develop innovative curriculum and educational programs to help schools meet the NYS Science Learning Standards.
• Work closely with OEEP instructional staff, district administrators, teachers, NYSED and other agency staff to plan, coordinate and provide multi-faceted, science and environmental education programs.
• Build and maintain professional relationships with school district administrators and teachers including marketing program services.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Divisional Director.
Salary/benefits are regionally competitive. Qualifications include science related educational degree and NYS Certification in science.
Candidates should apply with a job specific cover letter and résumé no later than July 25, 2018 for a start date in August 2018.
Contact: Thomas Denicola: TDenicol@wsboces.org and Douglas Schmid: DSchmid@wsboces.org