Work Days: Monday - Friday, with some weekend, evening & holiday work required
Who We Are: The Wildlife Conservation Society envisions a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas, valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. We actively save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature.
The WCS Education Department works across our five parks: Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and New York Aquarium. Our mission is to inspire a diverse and inclusive movement of conservation advocates by sparking connection with animals and nature, enhancing scientific literacy through hands-on investigation, and engaging constituents in stewardship and action to conserve wildlife and wild places.
WCS is proud to be an equal opportunity employment workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work and learning environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
The Opportunity: We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative, and committed individual to teach and lead educational programs at the Prospect Park Zoo, with a focus on School and Partnership Programs. WCS Education works with participants from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, and we are committed to developing and supporting equitable, high quality, STEM and nature-based education for all. The Conservation Educator: School Programs and Partnerships staff member plays a key role in this mission by developing programs that engage audiences of all ages from across the city, and facilitating specific programming, such as ongoing school partnership classes, after-school programing, joint programs with P.D. Family Day activities through grants or council member initiatives.
You have the experience and knowledge of incorporating multiple effective teaching strategies into programming. You are excited to integrate science education with opportunities for program participants to take conservation action. You have a passion for integrating informal science resources into school programming, children and families interaction, and you are committed to engaging diverse, local communities learning. You are adaptable; you enjoy engaging people where they are and supporting their personal learning and needs as visitors. You have excellent communication skills and are comfortable interacting with guests of all ages and backgrounds. You are a confident problem solver, and you are comfortable working both in a team and independently.
Collaborate with the Education team to execute our departmental goals and to connect with the Prospect Park Zoo’s 300,000 visitors, including conservation education experiences for over 25,000 NYC school children.
● Conduct educational programs for pre-k through 12th grade students, teachers, children, and families. This will include school programs, summer camps, afterschool and field-trips, and may include programming such as birthday parties and special events.
● Communicate on regular basis with teachers and coordinators whose classes participate in Prospect Park Zoo programs.
● Work with the Professional Development team on regular basis to coordinate partnerships between schools and teachers.
● Develop curricula for new and innovative programs for students, children, and families while taking into account the needs of all audiences.
● You will be trained to expertly handle and utilize live animal ambassadors as part of educational programs.
● Work alongside part time staff, volunteers and interns to help train them to support Family/Community Day activities as needed
● Facilitate educational programs that inspire children and families in the classroom, at our exhibits, and outside in our park.
● Inspire children and families from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds with a love of wildlife, science, and conservation
● Monitor enrollment for programs you are leading and communicate with the Assistant Manager and Curator of Education regarding marketing strategies.
● Communicate on regular basis with program participants including sending welcome letters, program details, teacher confirmations, and post-program surveys.
● Demonstrate consistent conservation education messages in all programming areas.
● Support the education team in developing curriculum for and conducting all programs including camps, adult/youth programs, and school field trips.
● Be an active and supportive team member in the education department through participating in staff development days, team meetings, trainings (both individual and team), and contributing to a positive work environment.
● BS/ BA
● Some experience developing curricula and teaching formal or informal programs or classes, especially to NYC school groups.
● Comfortable building relationships with school and teacher communities to ensure effective marketing and to discuss program needs and satisfaction
● Ability to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings as needed.
● Possess a valid driver’s license
● MS/MA in Education or Science
● Two or more years of experience developing curricula and teaching formal or informal programs or classes, including outdoor-based activities, to school groups.
● Understanding and familiarity of Standards (Common Core, Next Gen, NY Scope and Sequence).
● Experience developing curriculum and implementing programs that aligns to standards.
Benefits and Perks
● We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and building a culture where everyone is welcomed and can flourish.
● We hire great people and give them opportunities to do great work.
● We offer the opportunity for professional growth through staff development events, WCS scientist talks, workshops, or conferences. WCS Education also offers a Masters in Biology or Teaching of Biological Sciences degree at low cost to employees that are accepted into the program.
● After working for 6 months, you will qualify for up to $3,200 a year for tuition reimbursement.
● We operate in a work environment that includes some weekend and holiday work. Flex time and earned time, as well as holiday, vacation, and sick time are available.
● We prioritize being a fun and collaborative team.
● We offer a competitive salary with a comprehensive medical, dental, and retirement package.