The Center for Aquatic Sciences is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All aspects of employment are governed and administered on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence and are not influenced or in any manner affected by race, color, age, sexual preference, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability, marital status or any other classification protected by law.
Under the direction of the Outreach Manager, the Outreach Science Instructor delivers engaging, science-based programs for the Center for Aquatic Sciences at offsite locations including schools, libraries and community centers.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Deliver aquatic and environmental science-based educational programs for all ages.
• Responsible for knowing and abiding by proper handling, transportation, presentation, and interaction protocols for a diverse collection of animals in preparation for and during programs.
• Facilitate science-based games, activities and crafts.
• Transport animals and materials to outreach locations.
• Drive company vehicles to program locations including schools, libraries, and community centers in the Tri-state area.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by the Education Managers.
• Days and working hours vary weekly; possibly including early mornings, late nights and weekends; typically, 10-20 hrs./week.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
• Enthusiastic passion for engaging children in hands-on learning.
• Ability to read and follow lesson plans for specific programs.
• A solid understanding of basic biology, marine science and aquatic ecology.
• Ability to communicate and relate well to individuals of all ages, especially PreK-8.
• Must be creative, well organized, self-starting and a team player.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including occasional weekends and evenings.
• Comfort with handling a variety of live animals including invertebrates and reptiles.
• One-year experience teaching children in an informal/formal setting.
• Creative, organized and flexible.
• Excellent character, integrity and adaptability.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Successful completion of pre-employment background and fingerprint check.
• No history of allergy to plants or animals, which may interfere with ability to work.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds.
• Pass Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting.