The Center for Aquatic Sciences is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All aspects of employment are governed and administered on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence and are not influenced or in any manner affected by race, color, age, sexual preference, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability, marital status or any other classification protected by law.
Under the direction of the Manager of Academic Engagement, the Science Education Instructor delivers engaging, science-based programs for the Center for Aquatic Sciences within Adventure Aquarium. Programs include classes, tours and labs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Deliver aquatic and environmental science based educational programs for all ages.
• Responsible for knowing and abiding by proper handling, transportation, presentation, and interaction protocols for a diverse collection of animals in preparation for and during programs, when applicable.
• Facilitate science-based games, activities and crafts.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager of Academic Engagement.
• Days and working hours vary weekly; typically, 10-20 hrs./week.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Enthusiastic passion for engaging children in hands-on learning.
• Ability to read and follow lesson plans for specific programs.
• Have a solid understanding of basic biology, marine science and aquatic ecology.
• Ability to communicate and relate well to individuals of all ages, especially PreK-8.
• Must be creative, well organized, self-starting and a team player.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including occasional weekends and evenings.
• Comfort with handling a variety of live animals including marine invertebrates and reptiles.
• One-year experience teaching children in an informal/formal setting.
• Creative, organized and flexible.
• Excellent character, integrity and adaptability.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Successful completion of pre-employment background and fingerprint check.
• No history of allergy to plants or animals, which may interfere with ability to work.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds.
• Pass Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting.