Summary of Position
This position is based at UNH Extension’s Coös County office in Lancaster, NH.
Food and Agriculture Field Specialists deliver research-based educational programs and technical assistance to farmers, agricultural business owners, communities, and individuals interested in agriculture.
The Coös County Food and Agriculture Field Specialist provides formal and informal education to the agricultural community by organizing and implementing educational events including workshops, seminars, field tours, and grower meetings; disseminates current research-based information to clients through development of fact sheets, articles, newsletters, and other print and web-based resources; and provides one-on-one instruction and technical assistance to farms and agricultural businesses of all types and sizes throughout the county to improve quality, sustainability, and profitability of products and services. The field specialist serves as a resource to agricultural producers and colleagues throughout the state in the areas of livestock production, agricultural business management, beginning farmer education, and/or whole farm planning.
The Field Specialist, individually and in cooperation with UNH Extension colleagues and the Coös County Extension Advisory Council, determines educational needs of agriculture clientele and develops educational programs to meet these needs. The Field Specialist collaborates with a team of State and Field Specialists specializing in diverse areas of agricultural production and business management on all aspects of developing and implementing innovative, relevant, and impactful programming, including needs prioritization, writing curriculum, marketing, implementation, evaluation and reporting.
UNH Extension maintains relationships of support and respect with state and federal agencies such as NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food and the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and collaborates with non-profit organizations such as NH Farm Bureau Federation, NH Dairy Practices Committee, NH Vegetable & Berry Growers Association, NH Plant Growers Association, and the NH Association of Conservation Districts. In partnership with these and other agencies and organizations, UNH Extension’s Food and Agriculture Program works to build profitable and sustainable local agriculture.
Other minimum qualifications
Applicant must have academic preparation in agriculture with course work in plant and/or animal science. At least one degree must be in an agricultural field from an accredited institution. Applicants with a Bachelor of Science degree in an appropriate field and three years relevant experience may be considered contingent upon agreement to obtain a Master’s degree within seven years of employment.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Demonstrate a high degree of subject matter competence in livestock production, crop production, whole farm planning, or other agricultural subjects of significance to farms in Coös County.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with coworkers and clients with a variety of values and interests and of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, income and education levels.
• Demonstrated evidence of good judgment, flexibility, and innovative problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated competency in presenting educational programs.
• Demonstrated willingness to learn on an ongoing basis.
• Ability to accomplish year-round field work.
• Demonstrated competency with computers and current technology.
• Possess the ability to work with minimum supervision, handle multiple demands, and set priorities.
• Be willing and able to travel frequently, locally and statewide. Mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
• Be available to work some nights and weekends.
• Experience or familiarity with Extension programs.
• Have experience in farming and have familiarity with agriculture in Coös County.
• Have demonstrated competency in assessing industry needs and developing high-quality educational programs to meet those needs.
Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/33335