The Youth Development Center works with at risk youth who have been termed status offenders (status offenses are things such as truancy, behavior problems, breaking of school policies). The YDC provides a residential program to a maximum of 32 females at a time while maintaining a 1 to 12 instructor to student ratio. Youth can be placed in the program from 90-180 days depending on their offense. The program focuses on many curriculum areas including: environmental education, technology, aerospace, chemical science, high adventure, automotive, food and nutrition, horticulture, health care, marine science, electricity, and animal science, as well as the four core subjects (Math, Science, English, and Social Studies). YDC is looking for candidates that are flexible, possess a can-do attitude, and are able to work on a team as well as be sufficient working alone. Candidates should also comfortable working in a camp atmosphere and are prepared to learn new skills.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Supervise youth as they fulfill their day.
- Plan and lead adventure based activities including aquatics, camping, and ropes courses, as trained.
- Help youth with in class assignments as directed by certified teacher.
- Lead therapeutic groups, as trained.
- Provide teaching, crisis intervention, and orientation of new juveniles, and serves as a treatment team member.
- Performs administrative duties to include written Medicaid reports.
- Supervises dorm chores to ensure cleanliness and orderliness of the facility and the general health and safety of the residents.
- Residential duties on certain nights.
- Monitors safety and security procedures for the facility
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- BA or BS in Outdoor Education, Adventure Programming, Social Sciences, Youth Development or other related subjects are preferred.
- Experience working with at-risk youth preferred.
- Must have patience, empathy, and high energy
- Must demonstrate the ability to implement creative “hands on” methods
- Must be flexible, able to adapt to new atmosphere
- Must be willing to work a on team with clear objectives
- Must be physically able to perform required outdoor tasks in a camp setting
- Must have a desire for personal growth and professional development.
- Must be willing to learn new skills
- Room & board
- Health Insurance
- 40 + hours of professional development training
- Opt-in to South Carolina Retirement System
To apply, please send your resume and 3 references to Candice Heatherly at email@example.com