Requisition ID: 1466
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization, is now searching for an Education Field Instructor in Maine’s spectacular 100-Mile Wilderness region, a multi-sport outdoor recreation destination unlike any other!
The Education Field Instructor is responsible for the collaborative design, support and delivery of a dynamic, year-round slate of educational and guided outdoor programs, which serve family, adult, and school populations and require specific attention to risk management. This position will deliver programs in two service areas: the Maine Woods Community Youth Environment Project (https://www.outdoors.org/conservation/maine-woods/engaging-local-schools) and Maine Woods Initiative (MWI) Programs (https://www.outdoors.org/conservation/maine-woods).
Program sites include AMC facilities, wilderness areas, and Piscataquis County community locations. Responsibilities also include providing high-quality wilderness guiding for AMC’s custom adventure programs. The Education Field Instructor is responsible for the quality, safety, and implementation of assigned program offerings along with the pro-active management of AMC’s equipment and gear depot. Instructional topics include environmental education, leadership development and teambuilding, recreational activities and natural history.
The remote setting of the AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges requires backcountry skills in all seasons and an enthusiasm for living in and sharing a wilderness environment. This full time, year round position with benefits works in close coordination with all staff at AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges.
- Lead outdoor recreation and wilderness skills development trips for a diverse range of participants. Trips range from ½ day to multi-night in length, occur in all types of weather, and travel over varied terrain.
- Plan, facilitate, and lead multi-day family and adult programs at AMC lodges including assisting with special events and custom guided programs.
- Design and teach place-based environmental education programs within the AMC’s Maine Woods Community Youth & Environment Project to local families and students.
- Design and teach leadership development and outdoor recreation skills programs within the AMC’s Maine Woods Community Youth & Environment Project to local student groups.
- Create and facilitate community building activities and experiences.
- Develop and present day and/or evening interpretive programs. Presentations may include natural/cultural history walks or safety talks focused on topics such as hydration or Leave No Trace principles.
- Act as an interpretive resource for staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Provide safe transportation of participants to and from facilities, via company vehicle, as necessary.
- Implement energy conservation and environmentally sound practices in daily operations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Environmental Education, Earth Science, Outdoor Recreation, or Natural Resources Management or other combinations of relevant education and experience.
- Exceptional customer service skills and outgoing friendly attitude.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in educational program delivery, wilderness guiding, and/or related activities.
- Ability to hike, paddle, fly fish, ski, snowshoe, and instruct others in these activities as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills for a fast-paced, varied program schedule.
- Ability to perform work in a remote camp setting and travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions, carrying up to 40 lbs of gear. Work is also performed in a standard office setting.
- Commitment to the Conservation-Education-Recreation mission of the AMC.
- Valid Wilderness First Aid certification or the ability to obtain (WFR or WEMT preferred).
- Maine Guide registration or the ability to obtain.
- Valid Maine driver’s license or the ability to obtain and DOT certification.
- Competent with Microsoft Office suite of programs.
Note: AMC will cover the costs for professional training and certifications required by this position, including both Wilderness First Aid and Registered Maine Guide.
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution
- A retirement plan with an employer match
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England
- And more!
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Candidates should submit a cover letter along with their resume.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.