Audubon Naturalist Society (ANS) is an equal opportunity employer. ANS seeks to create a larger and more diverse community of people who treasure the natural world and work to preserve it. In pursuit of this vision, ANS is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people with diverse backgrounds. Visit our website at www.ANShome.org.
Location: ANS Headquarters at Woodend Sanctuary, 8940 Jones Mill Rd., Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815
About Us: The Audubon Naturalist Society (ANS) has been a local leader in nature education in the Washington, DC metro area for more than 120 years, providing hands-on programs for all ages that help people learn about, enjoy, and protect nature. ANS believes that the health of our environment is intimately tied to the feelings of connectedness that people of all ages have with nature. In pursuing our vision of creating a larger and more diverse community of people who treasure the natural world and work to preserve it, we provide a wide array of nature education programming that includes a nature preschool, summer camps, school-based programming, and numerous opportunities for adults to connect with nature. Our nature education programming for adults includes classes and field trips to explore the local natural history of the Washington, DC region; our Natural History Field Studies program, a continuing education certificate program that has provided in-depth natural history education for more than 50 years; and a variety of domestic and international nature travel programs.
Position Summary: The Naturalist Educator plans and teaches natural history classes, field trips, and programs throughout the Washington, DC region primarily for adult audiences with an emphasis on attracting new and diverse audience to ANS programs and serves as a natural history resource for staff, membership, media, and the general public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop classes and field trips, destinations, and topics to reach new and diverse adult audiences for ANS, including people of color and people with disabilities
• Lead/teach classes and field trips on a broad range of natural history topics and for a wide range of audiences, with emphasis on reaching adult audiences new to ANS
• Assist Senior Naturalist as needed in recruiting, coordinating, and evaluating both paid and volunteer leaders for adult programs, including Natural History Field Studies
• Work with communications team to market programs to new audiences
• Work with departments across ANS to coordinate and streamline adult education offerings
• Build and maintain a strong presence for ANS programs and sanctuaries on social media
• Secure necessary permits for adult nature programs
• Perform management duties for Natural History Field Studies program as needed
• Respond to questions and contacts from the membership, public, media and staff regarding local nature
• Well-grounded field knowledge in natural history of the mid-Atlantic
• Familiarity with parks/preserves/protected spaces in the mid-Atlantic
• Excellent working knowledge of iNaturalist, eBird, and other community science tools
• Knowledge of literature and resources on local natural history
• Strong communication skills, including written, oral, and online presentations
• Ability to manage a group, including skills such as organization, patience, flexibility, diplomacy
• Strong interpretation skills
• Good sense of humor
• Interest in traveling to new places and dealing with the unexpected
• Budget acumen
• Office 365 and social media skills
• Physical stamina
• First aid and CPR training
• Comfort with risk management for program participants in unpredictable field conditions
• Bilingual applicants desired
• Availability and willingness to work irregular work hours, including weekends and evenings
• Ability to climb stairs, walk and hike on uneven, rocky and/or slippery surfaces
• Ability to carry a field pack of books, first aid kit, etc.
• Ability to drive a vehicle
• Ability to fly as a passenger on domestic and international flights
• Ability to use computer
Supervision: Reports to the Senior Naturalist and the Director of Education
Salary: Salary range begins in low $40Ks and depends upon experience. Competitive benefits available.
To apply: Email your cover letter and resume to eesearch@ANShome.org.
Please mention how you learned of this opening.