NCI is seeking individuals who enjoy working outside and share our commitment to our mission of inspiring environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Through this field-based opportunity, Youth Leadership Interns will develop their environmental education and outdoor leadership skills while working alongside staff to lead two 8-day and one 12-day Youth Leadership Adventures courses.
This position runs from the week of June 9-August 29, 2020. Interns will work at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center (ELC), and in the field while leading backcountry camping and backpacking courses in North Cascades National Park.
Interns will receive a prorated $400 stipend per month for June, July and August. A $1250 bonus will also be received after full completion of the internship duration. Shared housing at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center (ELC) or in the neighboring town of Marblemount will be provided, free of cost, for the entirety of the internship. Meals are provided on courses and when programs are in session at the ELC. Interns are responsible for their own health insurance and personal transportation (both strongly recommended). The cost of a Wilderness First Aid training will be covered by North Cascades Institute as additional compensation.
● Interest/experience in working with adolescents
● Ability to hike up to 10 miles a day with a 40-50 lb backpack
● Must be at least 18 years old as of June 10, 2020
● Must be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate college or university
● Must have received a high school diploma, GED, or similar certification a minimum of one year ago as of July 1, 2020
● Completion of one year of college level coursework, including some coursework in earth sciences, outdoor education, environmental education, education, and/or related fields
● Availability to complete a Wilderness First Aid Certification before the start of the internship. North Cascades Institute will cover the cost of a Wilderness First Aid training (2-day course)
● Ability to complete the full term of the internship
Successful candidates will be willing to live in a remote area, be able to lead others while traveling in the backcountry, and will need to complete a criminal history disclosure and background check.
To learn more about his position or to apply, please visit our website at: http://ncascades.atsondemand.com/. Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and resume. Applications are due April 10th.