Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission is seeking an Education Camp Aide.
Under the direction of the Recreation Education Coordinator, the Education Camp Aide will provide environmental and historical programs for Charleston County Park Summer Camps.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Education Camp Aide will spend a considerable amount of time on foot, leading programs where environmental education and social studies education is the focus. Programs will be for CCPRC summer camps. All programs primarily take place in an outdoor setting and the ideal applicant will be comfortable teaching in a variety of environments and weather conditions on weekdays. The individual in this position will be expected to converse effectively and efficiently with a wide variety of people. The aide will also assist with organizing and maintaining program supplies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• A general knowledge and appreciation of the local environment and the natural and cultural resources of South Carolina
• Ability to design and implement programs for elementary and middle school students
• Ability to verbally communicate well with others
• Ability to read and interpret body language of others
• Ability to follow instructions in an organized manner and complete assigned tasks to the satisfaction of the direct supervisor
• Ability to manage time effectively, establish and reflect good work habitats, and the ability to work independently as well as with a team
• Ability to accomplish tasks that require physical labor
• Ability to present oneself as a professional in the field of interpretation and conform to the CCPRC uniform requirements
• General computer skills
• Must possess and maintain a valid SC Driver’s License
• Ability to obtain and maintain certification in First Aid, CPR, and Bloodborne Pathogen procedures
Minimum Training and Experience
A high school diploma is required and college course work or a college degree is preferred. Experience in at least one of the following areas is required: early childhood education, environmental education, social studies education, history, biology, interpretation, or a similar field.